Made a snap decision yesterday

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I decided, off the cuff, that my daughter (13y/old) and I are going to take two weeks off and go to Germany. I was watching Andrew Zimmern ~Bizarre Foods~ in Munich and said screw it "I'm ready to go home." I haven't been to Germany, from the States, in 22 years. I know things have changed, but I thought it'd be fun to travel with my kid and stop/see my wife's family near Saarbrucken (Beckingen), whom I've never met. I was born in Munich and lived in Germany the first 7 years of my life. I took a couple day trips to Germany from Afghanistan when I was working over there, but haven't taken an extended staycation.

Anyone have any luck with these private Expedited Passport services?

Last edited:
Yah....

But the post office is just as fast. I've been going back and forth for years and for me flying into Frankfurt seems to be easier. That too and there is a major train staition there in two locations. One local train stain under the airport and an ICE train staition for long distance. Then there is the public transpertation between the airport and the main train staition that is in downtown Frankfurt. For young people, downtown Frankfurt has all they could ever want. I brought my fifteen year old daughter that was born in Germany there for her fifteenth birthday.

The last time I renewed my passport, I did so at the post office and it took just a couple of weeks to get back (living in the DC area may have helped shave a few days off the mail time). It might be cutting it close to get passports and get to and from Germany before your daughter starts school though. I lived in Germany for 11 years and outside of Munich for 5 years and travel back fairly frequently (I was last there in September). PM me for any needed info about Munich or travel in Germany.

IIRC you can request (and, um, pay for) an expedited passport service via the USPS as well. But maybe this service is only available of you already have an expired passport, and not available for "first-issue" passports? That aspect was not a concern so I'm only guessing here. In any event I received an expedited US passport, via the USPS, in a matter of a couple of weeks. It was really that fast, and that transaction required the processing and mailing of the goods to SoCal. I'd consult your local post office before enlisting the service(s) of so-called "private" passport expediters.

My daughters and I's passports are both re-issue. 2 weeks (business days) is cutting it really close. Finnbow, she'll miss the first couple days of school, which is normally filled with "meet and greets" and stuff like that. I researched the private expediters and one really stood out above the rest, might be my best option considering the quick turn around needed.

DJ, we are flying into Frankfurt directly (no-stops) from Denver. My wife's family will then pick us up and we'll head toward Saarland. We'll stay there a week, then head about an 1.5 hour southeast of Munich (Bad Aibling) to visit my oldest brother.

My daughters and I's passports are both re-issue. 2 weeks (business days) is cutting it really close. Finnbow, she'll miss the first couple days of school, which is normally filled with "meet and greets" and stuff like that. I researched the private expediters and one really stood out above the rest, might be my best option considering the quick turn around needed.

DJ, we are flying into Frankfurt directly (no-stops) from Denver. My wife's family will then pick us up and we'll head toward Saarland. We'll stay there a week, then head about an 1.5 hour southeast of Munich (Bad Aibling) to visit my oldest brother.

I've spent considerable time in Bad Aibling over the years, having managed several construction projects at Bad Aiblling Station. Nice town in a terrific location, though it is located near one of the more infamous bottlenecks on the Autobahn (the Rosenheimer Dreieck), at least during peak vacation and ski season.

If you require < 2 weeks, you'd best procure the services of the "pro" expediters.

Bad Aibling, just a bit south(east?) of Munchen and a stone's throw from the Austian border and the city of Salzburg. What a swell opportunity for your daughter this would be, Hajidub. It is a great gift you are striving to bring to her. Bonne chance on getting the papers in order in time for the "snap decision" departure in time for her to participate in the "meet 'n' greets", etc., all very important steps when integrating into another culture in general, but maybe especially @ school.

If you require < 2 weeks, you'd best procure the services of the "pro" expediters.

Just spoke with my neighbor who had her families expedited through the US Passport office. I have to make an appointment, show up and they'll tailor the response time to our itinerary. Our neighbor said a lady next to her was leaving in 3 days and still got her passport on time.

My mom was born in Bad Aibling, I remember visiting Oma there. My brother lives there, but will be recovering from surgery during our visit, so I won't stay. My daughters been twice but when she was too young to remember. My in-laws family will put us up for the majority. In ground heated pool, beer shed in the backyard, I'm set.

Mystic, thanks for the info and posts! Now that I've experienced it: If you have a P/P Agency locally (70 miles for me) it's cheaper and faster to get it done there. I arranged my appointment 8 business days prior to leaving. People in front of me were leaving SAME day and still got their passports. I was in and out in 12 minutes exactly, went back 2 business days later and picked mine up (3 minutes in/out). Total cost $170/each, compared to 3rd party $430/each (3-6 business days). It was the most efficient government system I've ever dealt with.

I leave Monday, won't be online for a couple weeks. Will miss everyone.

Last edited:
I use one of those passport agencies in NY. They will get you a passport in 24 hours. You just have to pay.

I use one of those passport agencies in NY. They will get you a passport in 24 hours. You just have to pay.

The U.S. Passport Agency will do it in 2 hours if needed that quickly and only charge you $60 +price of passport.

Back
Top Bottom