Maggie 81-01

Oh wow, I see where it has been hacked so to speak but we really don't know the history of who did this and why. Can't really see the circuit and all but I hope the switch doesn't switch in the output transformers for the highs to the lows. Seem that there would be a direct conflict there somehow.

Maybe it works fine and the previous owner knew what he was doing, but these kinds of things just remind me of my youthful days when friends would bring me stuff to repair where they added switches or tried to make more power. I once had a friend bring me a stereo integrated amp (can't recall brand offhand) where he wanted more power so he tied the left & right speaker outputs together thinking bridged mono. He added a switch and when he went to flip it, POOF! :rflmao:

This is definitely not the simple stereo amp you were hoping for. Sorry! :(

Ok tubes all bought and paid for, some should be here tomorrow, and some should ship by Sat. I'll be on vacation starting Sat. Wanting to fire this up.

Ok got the poor man's variac built, I'll run to town tomorrow and pick up the plug in light socket, waiting on the final group of tubes to arrive. And we'll see what happens. 20170806_204256.jpg

A range will do well. 40, 60, 75, 100 is probably a nice range if you can find them all. I've seen these done with 3 way bulbs which isn't a bad idea, or just multiple sockets so you can switch in more bulbs as needed to increase voltage.

Got my tubes in today, kinda off to a shitty start, dim bulb tester doesn't work, forgot to jumper the ground wire from the switch to the receptacle. Sounds logical right?? I'll check back in, and do a play by play,

Well shit, can't get the tester to work, guess my chances of gettin this amp goin, is prolly slim!!!!

Plugged the test bulb into it,?? Am I stupid, would it not light up, without another appliance plugged in as well?

Wow, ya, works as you said , plugged another lamp in and they both come on, ok I'll get things started then.

Ok tested unit without any tubes and the light bulb glowed dim. Put all the tubes in , turned it on again and the light bulb glowed very bright, vacuum tubes did not light up, nary a one??

yeah probably needs at least a 40, and may need a 60. The 25 works good for checking the transformer though.

Well shit , found a 100 watt out in the shop, hate to jump up all the way to that, I'll keep looking , went to wally world today , zero incandescent bulbs, I work at home depot guess I'll run over there tomorrow, I'm on vacation this wk. Really wanted to have this working , while I have time off. Thanks again gadget

Ok found a 60 , used it , stays pretty bright , none of the tubes come on though, they should start to glow within 2 or 3 mins.??

Ok retested with the 60 things started to come on tubes were just barely starting to glow let it go for about 15 min. Then changed to the 100 watt and the tubes are a little brighter , I'll let it go for another 15 min. Then see if I can get sound.

ITS ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE. Wow it seems to work really nice, actually sounds awesome hooked up to my Yamaha px3, no hum or buzz, dead quiet, and actually pretty loud. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Attachments

• 20170807_200835.jpg
    20170807_200835.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2
Cool. yea that one I can see needing some extra lamp, its got a fair bit of tube load. Heater load alone is pretty near 50 watts.

Ok I'm thinkin speaker upgrade is in order, time to move the little rs bookshelves down the road.

Back
Top Bottom