Maggie 81-01

Nice! Good to see all those 6V6GTs glowing.
I've got a couple biamp Maggotboxes pulling stereo duty here, (amp150s).

Ok change of plans, think I'll keep the little rs speakers, omg. They scream, I run the turntable thru the mixer , has bass , treble, so a range of sound but incredibly clean. Just played while my guitar gently weeps, frickin incredible. Of course think my wife will be glad when I go back to work, I'm on vacation this wk. ....cheers

Back to servicing, those white tubular caps need replacing like Gadjet73 recommended. They're originals and way past their service life. I'd replace the big multi section electrolytic can capacitor topside too. You can replace that one with separate 'lytics, if a new can cap can't be found.

Ok, back to reality, I'll start looking for replacements, "parts express" possibly. Are they expensive, hope not I just sold some damn fine played once vinyl to buy these tubes, oh well I guess if you gonna dance you gotta pay the fiddler.

Ok, back to reality, I'll start looking for replacements, "parts express" possibly. Are they expensive, hope not I just sold some damn fine played once vinyl to buy these tubes, oh well I guess if you gonna dance you gotta pay the fiddler.

I've used Mouser in the past. The white caps in mine I replaced with Orange Drops. Not too expensive at all.
Hopefully Gadget'll chime back in here, if not send him a PM.

Thank you bob, I'll start looking. I definitely want to get this done.

You're welcome, friend. Lot's of helpful folks hereabouts, just paying it forward as they say.
These old Magnavox amps really punch above their weight class. I went through mine and replaced all the caps and those old carbon composition resistors. They were built in '57 and they'll probably outlast me.

I tend to use fairly basic film caps. Usually they end up being yellow, but I've used white, orange, blue, green and maroon without issue. If you're feeling festive you can mix and match your colors just to add some flair to the situation.

What would I look for in a Google search, basic film caps, do they need to be a certain value,

You'd need to match the value of whats in there, and meet or exceed the voltage. Illinois MPW series caps work fine. Those are a fairly no-frills film capacitor that works reliably. If you like orange better than yellow, Cornell-Dublier (CDE) 716P will get you that.

I've bought plenty of good inexpensive film caps from Sonic Craft also, right on top of the list of vendors on the forums main page. Plenty of selection too.

I don't quite know what to shop for. This is what I see on the orig. Caps. Good all type 503s, type ct. 033 Mfd 200 voc made in USA 472. Thanks for any deciphering.

ok heres a pdf of the schematic of the magnavox 81-01 . not sure if theres any imfo. on here that would tell me which caps to order.

Attachments

• Magnavox_AMP81.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 19
The values are there, if you use 630v caps that will cover it. Or just read them directly off the components in the amp.

Ok , orange drop caps will be here today or tomorrow, I'll be buying a dmm today at work , either klein, or central electric, c.e. is home depot brand , I know I know. Any way , oh and I bought a magnavox tube preamp, on fleabay, kinda cool looking and very clean.looking, just the amp there's no tuner . I'll post pics, prolly in another thread, .....cheers

Ok, got 5 of these put in so far, slow and steady wins the race, just doin them one at a time, looks like some of my photos went south, not sure what's up with that. 20170817_170608.jpg

Just a general mention, but if you can keep the wire leads as short as practical, it wouldn't be a bad thing. No need to make them tight like banjo strings but that one at the bottom left behind the pilot light doesn't need anywhere near that much lead length.

With an orange drop specifically you don't want to bend the leads right at the body of the cap anyway, it could break the sealing epoxy. Use a small pair of pliers to support the lead and bend it from there.

Ok complete so far, I did Ord. 2 of the wrong ones needed .047 think I Ord.. 0047 rookie mistake I guess, and I haven't tore anything up, it still plays nice music,
That's a shame reorder 2. .80cent caps and pay 7.00 shipping. Oh well, oh and I still need to learn how to read a schematic, so I can figure out that value these brown caps are one says 100 the other says .100 ??20170817_180637.jpg 20170817_180417.jpg 20170817_180317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom