Maggie Info

YAY! Now tell us, how do you like it? :idea:

Haven't hooked it up to main system, just ran my iPad through it on my cheap thrift store speakers in the garage. Still sounded pretty damn good. How long should I let it run on that before you'd say it's safe to run on the main system? It ran for 40 minutes in the garage earlier.

If anything were to go wrong with it, it would have showed its ugly face within the first 5 minutes of operation. As long as there is no smoke or red plating of the output tubes, it is going to be just fine for you.

You can run it on your main system anytime you wish. You might have been thinking of something called "break in" but this amp and tubes have already been broken in a long time ago. You might think of "break in" with all new capacitors.

With the new coupling capacitors, you might notice little nuances after you have played it for a while. Especially if you compare it to a solid state amp. You will hear things with tubes that solid state has a hard time reproducing. :music:

Play it for a while before you decide or want to do upgrades or mods. :thumbsup:

Wouldn’t hurt to check your voltages, but agree with run it after 40 minutes. I sent you a txt.

Edit: Not a bad idea to have a record of base line incase of future problems.

Last edited:
Here's my AMP175. This is basically the same as the 185 but without the 7025 preamp tube. Yes, it is modded and hot rodded. :D

Power supply was ramped up a bit. 6V6GT tubes were swapped out for 6L6GC tubes. The output transformers were replaced with Knight KB-85 output transformers and is wired in ultra linear mode because those output transformers are ultra linear transformers.

Nat, you will enjoy yours so have fun with it. :music:

100_1647.JPG

Last edited:
If anything were to go wrong with it, it would have showed its ugly face within the first 5 minutes of operation. As long as there is no smoke or red plating of the output tubes, it is going to be just fine for you.

You can run it on your main system anytime you wish. You might have been thinking of something called "break in" but this amp and tubes have already been broken in a long time ago. You might think of "break in" with all new capacitors.

With the new coupling capacitors, you might notice little nuances after you have played it for a while. Especially if you compare it to a solid state amp. You will hear things with tubes that solid state has a hard time reproducing. :music:

Play it for a while before you decide or want to do upgrades or mods. :thumbsup:

Sweet! Still need to get a new switch for it and wire that and the fuse into it. Other than that, i think I’m gonna make a stop by Lowe’s on way home tomorrow and make a wood base for it. Seen quite a few that has them and think it makes them look even that much better. After that it’ll be ready to meet the main system and it’s new room in the house.

Also going to take @GChief advice and go through it and write down all the voltages.

Last edited:
Here's my AMP175. This is basically the same as the 185 but without the 7025 preamp tube. Yes, it is modded and hot rodded. :D

Power supply was ramped up a bit. 6V6GT tubes were swapped out for 6L6GC tubes. The output transformers were replaced with Knight KB-85 output transformers and is wired in ultra linear mode because those output transformers are ultra linear transformers.

Nat, you will enjoy yours so have fun with it. :music:

View attachment 1206095

Sweet man! Yeah, I’m stoked now that she’s up and running. Was worried all this time it wouldn’t happen:D Nkw I’ll have the Maggie and Kenwood Basic M1 amp to switch between.

Wouldn’t hurt to check your voltages, but agree with run it after 40 minutes. I sent you a txt.

Edit: Not a bad idea to have a record of base line incase of future problems.

Just replied man. I get up at 3:30 for work so missed it last night...

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who took the time to help me with this project. I’m truly appreciative for the time y’all took to post pics/drawings of what I needed to do, and sharing yalls knowledge with this. I was really hesitant on doing this project not having any previous experience with electronics (sure that was obvious with my questions :D), but this was the only way I could afford to get into tube amps. There were a couple times I was about to give up and say screw it.... but y’all kept me going. And man it was worth it when I fired it up for the first time yesterday and heard Black Sabbath “Iron Man”:rockon:

Again. Thanks Guys:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom