Magnavox 142 - rebuild/modification thread

Chassis are here. I have started machining them. I think early/mid next week I'll start the assembly.
Pics to follow soon.

Here is the layout. THey are currently painted a black wrinkle paint. I really don't like it. I am going to repaint them.

Any ideas on colors?? Help please. I will paint the tranny cores, the end bells and the chassis. So up to three colors are possible.

The amp will be wraped in a wooden base - probably walnut or birds eye maple, depending on the color scheme.
Mark

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 84
Here is the layout. THey are currently painted a black wrinkle paint. I really don't like it. I am going to repaint them.

Any ideas on colors?? Help please. I will paint the tranny cores, the end bells and the chassis. So up to three colors are possible.

The amp will be wraped in a wooden base - probably walnut or birds eye maple, depending on the color scheme.
Mark

black and red looks good. blu and yelo, red and yelo.

I am wiring it up and realized I ordered the wrong caps. According to the schematic, I need .22 coupling caps. I have .47. Will those work? I can order the others and will if there are any issues at all with me using the .47. Just thought I would ask before I put them in.
Mark

Thanks Gary,
I read that post several times. It didn't help, It is just a bit over my head.

I do have pleanty of .1 and even some .047 caps. I'll continue on until I get to the end, then I'll see what you folks think.

If the original phase splitter is still in place (simple paraphase type) then Bat's warning is well founded. While increasing the value of the coupling caps actually reduces phase shift for any given frequency, it also extends the response down so low that the inverter circuit can start to oscillate in a manner commonly called "motor boating". If (or when) the inverter is converted over to a floating paraphase type discussed earlier, this becomes much less of a concern (yet another advantage of the floating type), as the feedback connection for the inverter section in that format reduces its gain to the point that motor boating is far less likely to occur.

Dave

I am building the other unit on the new chassis now. It will have the floating paraphase splitter in it.

So, .22uf okay? Would .47 be okay? What do you folks think.
Mark

If your building that floating paraphase which I believe you are they should be fine.
(might want to try .22 and or .33 later an test to see what you get).. using 12at7?

Building the original I'd agree, going with the floating version I'd go .22 or .33 though.
(but your .47's should work in the floating as well, I'd test them all for final there)

Floating Paraphase splitter with the 12at7's is what the circuit will be. I still need to wire up the PS and the feedback circuit.
Then I should be ready to bring it up on a varaic and see what happens. Maybe I will be lucky enough to get that done today.

So, I will try .22(I can rob them out of another project that is half done).

What differenc will I see or hear by changing the coupling caps?

Mark

Question folks. What do you use for a shielded input cable. The one that goes from the rca input to pin 2 on the 12at7?

I was thinking about taking on of my old rca intereconnects and cutting it up.
I also have soem RG6 but that is like stuffing an elephant in a shoe box - ugly to say the least.

THoughts?

pics of progress

Attachments

• P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 101
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 63
What is on the amp now are the end bells painted black. I didn't have the scres I needed to put it togetehr right. I am using he edcors as shown, but they are black now.

I hear black absorbs more sonic vibrations, reduces overall distortions and dampens the sonic artifiacts caused by the copper impurities in the amp. :yes:

I actually just painted the iron and it is drying now.

BTW- the amp is much more burgandy and maroon than the pinkish/purple it shows. I didn't think about the high contrast when i took the picture on hte pool table ot the reflections fom the glass. It looks much better in person.

Did I miss a post? It looks like you decided to spring the coin for the uber expensive ST 6V6s.

Pink is the new black...

Actually, I have been on a hunt for several weeks now for the elusive 6v6g, rarely seen in these parts.

After much diligence I have finally obtained about 40 of them. I can get at least physical matches out of them. Maybe even some electrical matches if I am lucky.

Back
Top Bottom