Magnavox 300H Concert Grand Console?

jonboy55

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A person just contacted me and asked me about a Magnavox console.

Normally I know how this phone call is going to end up but he said it the color was black, weighed about 300 pounds, and was a tube console.

I asked him to send me photos but he didn't send a photo of entire rear of the unit which would have answered the question whether this is a Concert Grand. We spoke again and will try to get me a photo of the rear tomorrow.

What model do you think it is?

Thank you.

IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0108.jpg IMG_0114.jpg IMG_0115.jpg IMG_0118.jpg IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0126.jpg IMG_0129.jpg

I'm waiting for a photo of the rear of the console. If it has a second amplifier it will have a total of 40 tubes. The owner doesn't know if this is a mono or stereo unit.

Wow. Lots and lots more of my favorite output tube. And two rectifiers.
One big and powerful clock radio?

Bear in mind, in 1960, the cheapest Concert Grand was over $1300. Restore this console and preserve this high end classic from Magnavox, this likely cost around $2000 new. Do not strip this of it's amplifiers. The Concert Grand and Imperial models are protected species, and few built.

This Model is listed specifically in the Concert Grand section of the Magnavox Fall 1957 catalog. It appears to have only one 40-Watt Dual-channel amp. Mahogany price - $1175
The 1958 Catalog lists the CG series as 1-ST205H and having two 25-watt amps.

Is the tape deck STEREO?

It does appear to have MONO and STEREO buttons on the lower left side, doesn't it? Just one mic input, though.

If it's from 1958, I would think it would be somewhat surprising for it to be stereo, since I didn't think stereo LPs were commercially available until 1959 for the most part. On the other hand, the tape recorder could be a retro-fit. I notice also that the selector has a position for FM but not FM Stereo, which tuners typically did if there was stereo.

In the picture showing the turntable, there's a switch labeled "speakers" that appears to say "both" on the left, and then two other positions I can't make out. EDIT: I see now that it appears to read "INT" and "EXT"

Last edited:
Early Stereo open reel tape machines often recorded mono and played Stereo tapes and this was about the last year this happened, and then most machines recorded and played Stereo when 1/4 track took over a year or two later. This is likely a 1/2 track Stereo machine if original to the console. I think the deck is original to the console or period at least.

That IS a Concert Grand! The one image of the paper ID tag shows the model 300H. That was one of the first Concert Grands. I believe 1957 or 1958. The first Concert Grand was a mono unit. I think the late 1958's came in the same cabinet, but if it was a stereo unit, there would be two Identical amps in the rear, with a separate extension speaker containing two 15 inch bass speakers and 2 horns for the upper frequencies. The speakers in the console would act as one channel and the extension speaker would be used for the second channel.

Ebony is more rare, with the "modern" metal feet. I've never seen one with the reverse glass painted panels on the front before. Reverse painted panels on top, but not the front. That is one sharp console!

Attached is an image of the 300H Concert Grand page out of the Magnavox fall 1957 product catalog.

Magnavox_Concert_Grand_300H_3.jpg

I dig that cabinet, its different but not ugly different. They had some "oriental" style ones that were quite simply horrible looking IMO.

Some additional photographs were just sent to me by the owner.

Good news and bad news. It has only one amplifier but it is a Concert Grand model. Two large speakers (woofer, mid range?) and 2 horn speakers. The tube diagram seems to be for the power supply.

Dimensions are 50" w x 35" h x 17" d.

A total of 33 tubes including the power supply.

It's smaller in size then the models with 2 amplifiers.

But still a very nice unit!

IMG_0132.jpg IMG_0133.jpg IMG_0135.jpg IMG_0140.jpg IMG_0147.JPG IMG_01371.jpg IMG_01391.JPG IMG_01411.jpg IMG_01421.jpg

Last edited:
Could be stereo with mono bass output. You have another smaller amplifier to the right of the big one which uses 6AQ5 tubes. These are characteristically similar to the 6V6's so it might be used as the left channel high amp. I believe that the main amp is a bi-amp where 6 of the 6V6's are wired in a push/pull/parallel type of arrangement (30 watt), and the last two are for the right channel high amp (10) watt.

The amp looks like a Magnavox model AMP148 which was used in the Concert Grands.

Sams lists a Magnavox model 300H in #418 but as a schematic only.

There is a library about 30 minutes from my house that has a digital subscription to all of Sams online at no charge.

If I have a chance I'll try to go there tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom