Magnavox CDB-500 Made in Mexico

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Junknewbian, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Junknewbian

Junknewbian Well-Known Member

I have heard great things about the vintage Magnavox CD players built in Belgium, and I have heard pretty great things about the CDB-500. I can pick up a CDB-500 at a local thrift, but it was made in Mexico. Were there CDB-500 players made in Belgium, or just in Mexico? Is it still likely to have the Belgian-made bullet-proof mechanisms? Thanks for reading!

2. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Ive got a Mexican made cd2000. Probably my best sounding cd player. No probs in the year or so Ive owned in.

3. Junknewbian

I've loved other Magnaxov and Phillips players, but I've only had the ones from Belgium. If It's still there on Monday, I think I'll give it a try.

4. xero-D-hero

xero-D-hero Super Member

Mine says assembled in Mexico,which I would tend to think means the core components are made elsewhere (ie: Belgium).

Pretty sure that's the case w/both the CDB-500 & CDB-502,both use the TDA1543 DAC chip,which is a decent enough DAC.
    But most will quickly point out that it's not the equal to the highly regarded TDA1541 DACs,but still you could do a whole lot worse as well.
    Transport is the CDM-4/19 which IME is about as reliable and trouble free as they come,pretty much most all the Philips CDM's are.
    If I can get 'em cheap enough I buy most every one I come across.

For full disclosure I own both a CDB-500 & CDB-502 (which is basically the CDB-500 w/remote) as well as CDB-460 & CDB-470 (both TDA1541 machines).

HTH

Bret P.

5. Junknewbian

Yes, it helps. I think it does say Assembled in Mexico. You're giving me confidence enough to go pick it up, after letting it sit on the shelf for a week while I hummed and hawed. Which means it will be gone when I go back.

6. xero-D-hero

xero-D-hero Super Member

That's always how it works for me as well,but that's probably for the better in my case as I already have too much gear around here,LOL.

Probably overdue for a cull,maybe come springtime I'll get motivated to clear out some stuff ?

It's JMO but if they're cheap enough,you cant really go wrong.

Some guys are even taking these TDA1543 and using them in stand-alone NOS DACs and whatnot.
    So someday these players will be sought after by the guys that love to do that sorta thing.

Bret P.

7. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Ive seen those 1543 standalone dacs on the bay. I never really thought about it but figured either they came across some NOS chips or that they were still available new. Sounds like they are recycling them from used players.

I checked my cd2000 bk02. Assembled in Mexico. Nov 88. Its got nice amount of copper inside.

8. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

Initially Philips re-labeled their products as Magnavox and Sylvania for the US market and those where the identical with the Philips products, and where made in Belgium.
    When demand increased, they moved the assembly to Mexico, a very lucrative move after signing of NAFTA in 1994. But also they introduced the cheaper TDA1543 and later switched to delta-sigma DAC's to save even more money, in competition with Japanese firms.
    What followed is just a degradation of quality because every manufacturer realized that "cheap and good enough" sells better that "expensive and perfect".

I own a Slivania clone of CD-473 (TDA1541).

9. Sparkler

Sparkler Member

I just picked up an CD-500 and the GW for the lowly sum of $6.00 and it plays flawlessly. I may just hang onto it for awhile.