Magnavox cdb473 CDM-2

lo-fi guy

Just found a Magnavox CDB473 at GW. Bought for $2.99. Dutch Audio Classics list this as having the CDM-4, but mine has the CDM-2. Perhaps an early model where they were using up last years parts before installing the new ones?
Anyhow, I plan on replacing opamps, but would appreciate some other ideas on making this player sound better ie: I've read something a while ago about adding resistor to ground at the RCA jack, replacing decoupler caps, etc....
Let me know if you've had experience with this player.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 56
I have the same player in Silvania CD1473 name. Both Phillips re-branded for US market.
I did replace the opamps with LM4562 and also the output capacitors. Used sockets because I did try a bunch of opamps - originals where LM833. Based on my measurement and resulted "hump" at 120Hz, the power capacitors needed upgraded too.
Schematics: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/philips/cd473.shtml

In my opinion, all in all it is just a good player. Not great, but better than many modern delta-sigma DAC players, but less enjoyable than one with a PCM R-2R DAC. Good luck.
My opamp mod and measurements (991Hz, not dithererd, -3dB):

IMG_3166.JPG

CD473_-3dB.PNG

Last edited:
I have this player. Completely unmodded. Bought on eBay in late 2007 (??). May have gotten less than 1hr use since then. I think the unit has low hours to begin with.
Anyway ... the sound... while I'm sure the electro caps are not in the best cond., this CDP rocks!!

I'm a DIY modder, with heavily modified Philips CD-60, Magnavox CDB650, Musical Fidelity A3-24 (D/A), Theta Chroma (D/A), Radio Shack CD-3400, Asus Xonar sound cards, etc. under my belt. I've also built some non-oversampling DACs.

And even with that much experience, I'm impressed with the stock, unmodified CDB473.

While I'll probably replace all the electro caps, I'm reluctant to modding it any other way. I think the Philips engineers hit it just right with this model.

13mh13. old thread I know, Have a CD-60. What mods were done to the Phillips CD-60?.

Back
Top Bottom