Magnavox cdb560 hum +music at output

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by UncleBingo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Howdy,
    Looking at this CD player for a friend. He said it was humming along with the music. (Perhaps it doesn't know the words?) Both channels.
    I don't usually work on these, but thinking it was possibly a bad ground on the output RCA's I agreed to crack it open and have a gander.
    Short story is that the hum is somewhere else. I've pulled and measured the power supply (filter caps) and they're within 20%. I even subbed in a couple new caps there to zero effect.
    Swapped out the LM op-amp chips and still... hum
    Lifted 1 leg of the main diodes and they test good.
    I am suspicious of the 78XX series regulators in here, but not crazy about going full rabbit-hole without some assistance (or at least a shove in a meaningful direction).
    Anyone conquer this hum on a similar unit? (Phillips/Magnavox).
    I have Multimeters, oscilloscopes and function generators available and probably a frequency counter somewhere. Thanks.

2. CT Jim

CT Jim AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a cdb465 which suddenly developed some static during playback. I have not pulled anything yet, but will be watching this thread for additional tips for when I get it on the bench. I did find the Philips cd-465(same model) service manual, but I'm not impressed with it, I suppose I could just replace 20+ caps and hope that solves it?
    This model has a super motorized tray system, I'd like to get it back up and running.

UncleBingo likes this.
  3. UncleBingo

Odd that nobody has had or fixed this problem on this or a related model. Anybody?

4. markuus3889

markuus3889 Diatom, what's that?

Hi UncleBingo,

You may have better luck over at DIY audio. Search for "CDM2" info since that is the transport and some variation of "Philips CDM2" and/or your model. Quite a few units from Philips/Magnavox and other various manufacturers used the CDM2 and its variations. I think there are three variations of that type transport. There were known problems with electrolytic caps on the transport I think it was a 33uf but the blue electrolytic axial caps with thin blue shrink wrap are all problematic in those units. Though I don't know if that's your issue. There should be a lot to read. You should find manuals for the Philips CD560(same as Mag CDB560) and Philips CDM-2(under Philips General Documents) at Hifi Engine.

Good luck,

Mark K.

UncleBingo likes this.
  5. UncleBingo

Thanks! I have the manuals, but they're a little thin...