Magnavox Consoles/Late 50s-Early 60s (Warning: Lg. Files)

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
Analog Addict was kind enough to send me scans of a Magnavox brochure he got with his latest acquisition. I've been trying to determine the model year in question by comparing the brochure with contemporary advertisements. I'm guessing 1959. If you all have any further information, esp. chassis #s and brochures/catalogs from other years - it might be the beginnings of a data base. Here's what I've got so far:

Stereo Master Model 1-ST212F/Ad from Aug. 59
MaggieStereoMasterModel1-ST212F.jpg

MagnavoxStereo-MasterAug59.jpg

Stereorama Model 2-SC202F/Ad from Nov. 58
(Note that in the ad the Stereorama is shown w/o the optional contemporary base-$10.50.)

MaggieStereoramaModel2-SC202F.jpg

MaggieStereorama.jpg

MagnavoxModelSC202FStereoramaNov-1.jpg

MaggieOptionalBases.jpg

Aristocrat Model 1-SC268F/Ad from Sept. 59
(Note that in the ad this model is described as "new". An ad running in September is often for next year's model.)

MaggieAristocratModel1-SC268F.jpg

MagnavoxAristocratSept59.jpg

Concerto Model 1-SP263F/Ad from Jan. 59
S-41Channel.jpg

MagnavoxConcertoJan59.jpg

Modern Concerto Model 1-SR281F
S-49StereoChannel.jpg

BEAUTIFUL !

I gotta get off my ass and finish scanning my 1961 brochure :thmbsp:

aaaaaand really pull together what I got for actual consoles and components . . . at this point, I think I have 12 complete Magnavox consoles from 1947 to 1963, and OODLES of amps, speakers, and turntables . . .

it would be VERY cool to have a (visual) resource of all the vintage Magnavox offerings :yes:

Magnavox Continenal/Belvedere

I figure the "SP" in the model number must be stereo phonograph; "SR" stereo radio; "SC" stereo console. But I don't get the "ST" in the Stereo Master's model number.

Continental Model 1-SR295F/Ad from Nov. 58

MaggieContinental-1.jpg

MaggieContinentalModel1-SR295F.jpg

MaggieContinentalA.jpg
MaggieContinentalC.jpg

MaggieContinentalB.jpg
MaggieContinentalD.jpg

MagnavoxContinentalNov58.jpg

Belvedere Model 1-SP275F or 1-SR276F/Ad from Oct. 1958
S-35Channel.jpg

MagnavoxBelvedereOct1958A.jpg

MagnavoxBelvedereOct1958B.jpg

I figure the "SP" in the model number must be stereo phonograph; "SR" stereo radio; "SC" stereo console. But I don't get the "ST" in the Stereo Master's model number.

Continental Model 1-SR295F/Ad from Nov. 58

MaggieContinental-1.jpg

MaggieContinentalModel1-SR295F.jpg

MaggieContinentalA.jpg
MaggieContinentalC.jpg

MaggieContinentalB.jpg
MaggieContinentalD.jpg

MagnavoxContinentalNov58.jpg

Belvedere Model 1-SP275F or 1-SR276F/Ad from Oct. 1958
S-35Channel.jpg

MagnavoxBelvedereOct1958A.jpg

MagnavoxBelvedereOct1958B.jpg

Of the two tube models I own, That is one of them( the Magnavox Continental):yes: I also have the seperate speaker with the 10" metal tweeter and 15" woofer:music:
The receiver also has that cool magic green tuning eye!!The cabinet door slides from left to right to expose the record storage area along with
the receiver.

Analog Addict was kind enough to send me scans of a Magnavox brochure he got with his latest acquisition. I've been trying to determine the model year in question by comparing the brochure with contemporary advertisements. I'm guessing 1959. If you all have any further information, esp. chassis #s and brochures/catalogs from other years - it might be the beginnings of a data base. Here's what I've got so far:

Stereo Master Model 1-ST212F/Ad from Aug. 59
MaggieStereoMasterModel1-ST212F.jpg

MagnavoxStereo-MasterAug59.jpg

Stereorama Model 2-SC202F/Ad from Nov. 58
(Note that in the ad the Stereorama is shown w/o the optional contemporary base-$10.50.)

MaggieStereoramaModel2-SC202F.jpg

MaggieStereorama.jpg

MagnavoxModelSC202FStereoramaNov-1.jpg

MaggieOptionalBases.jpg

Aristocrat Model 1-SC268F/Ad from Sept. 59
(Note that in the ad this model is described as "new". An ad running in September is often for next year's model.)

MagnavoxAristocratSept59.jpg

Concerto Model 1-SP263F/Ad from Jan. 59
S-41Channel.jpg

MagnavoxConcertoJan59.jpg

I have a few brochures and sale guides with cost and dates. What model are you looking for data on? solid state or tube only:scratch2:

Back in 1971 or so, a neighbor tossed a console, and I stripped some parts from it. One part was a 3 knob (3 two ganged pot) volume treble bass unit, possibly like the one in this model. Also some speakers. Also got (maybe this console, but I doubt it, as this console is stereo) a p-p monoblock amp that used tubes like 6BQ5s I used in college in 1975. May have given it to my roommate, who had the nice reel to reel deck we used the amp on.

I would respectfully suggest that if you quote a post with a large number of pictures; you edit out all the bracketed IMG enclosed links except the one(s) you are referring to. This post is pretty picture intense as it is. Thanks.:)

Imperial Danish Model 2-ST220H
Maggiebrochure3.jpg

MaggieImperialDanishModel2-ST220H.jpg

Imperial Provincial Model 2-ST217H
MaggieImperialProvincialModel2-ST21.jpg

Stratford Model 1-SC211F
MaggieStratfordModel1-SC211F.jpg

MaggieStratford.jpg

Italian Provincial Model 1-SR206F
S-38Channel.jpg

MaggieItalianProvincial.jpg

Now I wish I had a scanner, to share pics of a brochure I got with my Modern Concerto. It's actually a single page folded a few ways, but shows many different models, including the Concert Grand, which I think was the flagship then (not sure of the date, 1960 give or take a year).

Gee Red....

Those scans came out nicer than I thought. Took some time, but it should be well worth it as a reference for any other Maggie lovers out there.

Here's my Stratford with the standard spindle legs....

attachment.php

Look at that wood grain!....:drool: And even better, it's protected by an integral glass outer layer....:thmbsp: Who needs coasters???...:D

attachment.php

Here's the catalog picture with the optional base....

MaggieStratfordModel1-SC211F.jpg

The catalog gives you no idea at all of the beauty of the wood used, or the real overall quality feel of the piece. This one will not meet the hatchet at my hands.....:no:

Now I wish I had a scanner, to share pics of a brochure I got with my Modern Concerto. It's actually a single page folded a few ways, but shows many different models, including the Concert Grand, which I think was the flagship then (not sure of the date, 1960 give or take a year).

Loan it to Red, and let him do the work.....:D

I'm sure he'd take good care of it, and we owe it to those who put the craftmanship and care and dare I say it, love into these pieces to preserve the quality examples of their art, and their associated documentation....:thmbsp:

Loan it to Red, and let him do the work.....:D
The scanning is the tedious part. Once that part is done the rest is easy. A quick and easy way to get an image into cyberspace is a digital camera with a macro setting, plenty of light and perhaps a tripod. The image will be somewhat distorted with a typical lens but still quite legible.

AA, do you suppose the MST-859 written on the back cover might be a date code for your brochure? Anyone else with Magnavox literature have similar codes that might confirm this is a date?

Maggiebrochure17.jpg

I have a few brochures and sale guides with cost and dates. What model are you looking for data on? solid state or tube only:scratch2:
Cost and dates would be great. Magnavox model names often seem hard to come by. If we could link the model name to the model # with maybe chassis #s and a picture or two, then we'd really have something. And since this is the tube forum we should probably concentrate on that.

AA, do you suppose the MST-859 written on the back cover might be a date code for your brochure? Anyone else with Magnavox literature have similar codes that might confirm this is a date?
Maggiebrochure17.jpg

That was my original guess, supported by the 1958 dates of the tubes....Not confirmed though....:no:

awesome thread. Any info on the lesser known magnavox consolettes, such as the model 0FM042 trapezoid table radio? Theres also another neat little table console that a fellow member has here on AK.

awesome thread. Any info on the lesser known magnavox consolettes, such as the model 0FM042 trapezoid table radio? Theres also another neat little table console that a fellow member has here on AK.

I may be that fellow with the table radio you refer to: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181761

And I believe the trapezoid models are called the Symphonette. Here is a Dec. 59 ad showing what the 59/60 model looked like:
MagnavoxSymphonetteDec59.jpg

And another from Oct. 61 showing the 61/62 version:
MagnavoxSymphonetteOct61.jpg

And to think those consoles were rather expensive back in their day! The value of a dollar sure has changed substantially these past 40 years.

Looking at these scans makes me wish my late grandmother had kept her '59 Motorola stereophonic console. I thought it sounded terrible as a kid (with it's spring reverb), but she always kept it in emaculate condition...it would've been a nice keepsake.

promised pictures

Here's my maggie:yes: Pictured in the brochure.
French Provincial#295 with the seperate stereo speaker.

Last edited:
those are close, and yes you are the one I spoke of. The radio(s) that I own have the tuner on the front. 0FM026 is the corrected model number. I have on in cherry and one in walnut.

Back
Top Bottom