Magnavox Consoles/Late 50s-Early 60s (Warning: Lg. Files)

magnavox magnasonic special

Its Blonde Oak, thats at least what i think its called.
It was soon superceeded by the sp290 pair in 1959 it was identical with a stereo amp 175/185 style

Last edited:
Hey all, I recently picked up a 1ST635 as well, as seen in post #73 on page 5.
Its been through its abandonment stage and needs major refinishing and it looks like the amp and tuner are severely degraded, along with unknown status of the stylus (but the table seems to turn OK).
I realize its SS, so I feel a little less guilty about what I want to do with it. I plan to open it up and integrate a PC with multi-terabyte storage and Blu-Ray, a more modern amp that can process 5.1 sound (Yamaha AVX-700) and some other modern bits to make an updated all-in-one that I can connect to the TV for the theatre experience or to play digital or vinyl and as well as any other setup. I am having problems finding an appropriate forum since I am integrating a console from the end of the tube amp era, a Yamaha multi-channel amp, Technics turntable ( I need the space under the existing unit) and the PC, so in effect 4 different generations.

New magnavox forum

I just wanted to tell you Magnavox fans, that there is a new website for Magnavox consoles and vintage audio. You can find it at vintagehifi.net

Cleaning up and restoring my first console. Running into trouble finding info on the phono cartridge and was hoping one of the Magnavox geniuses could lend me some knowledge. *crosses fingers

Model: 252b
Can't find any info for parts. Phono cartridge is destroyed, took it into a repair shop he told me 8-10 hours @ $75/hr.
Any info on cartridge would be appreciated. Replacement parts? Repair? Help!

Attachments

• IMG_8512.JPG
    IMG_8512.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8514.JPG
    IMG_8514.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8512.JPG
    IMG_8512.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 56
Can you ID the cartridge at all? My usual source for ceramic or crystal carts is Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com. He's got a pretty good selection and pictures that may help you match it up.

What exactly was that quote for? Unless he's re-creating the cartridge from hope and moonbeams I can't imagine it taking more than about 15 minutes to swap.

Can you ID the cartridge at all? My usual source for ceramic or crystal carts is Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com. He's got a pretty good selection and pictures that may help you match it up.

What exactly was that quote for? Unless he's re-creating the cartridge from hope and moonbeams I can't imagine it taking more than about 15 minutes to swap.
He did say if we had a replacement it would take 5 minutes to swap. His quote is for rebuilding the cartridge. What that means technically, I do t know. Suppose it may be hope and rainbows.

I'll take some pictures. Unfortunately it's in pieces now. I don't see any distinguishing markings or numbers.

Few more photos of the cartridge on pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_8520.JPG
    IMG_8520.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8524.JPG
    IMG_8524.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8523.JPG
    IMG_8523.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 40
Thats not a cartridge I recognize. Is that a Webster changer? Doesn't look like the Collaro arm end that I'd expect.

Another option is to get creative with adhesives and mount a different cartridge in there.

Thats not a cartridge I recognize. Is that a Webster changer? Doesn't look like the Collaro arm end that I'd expect.

Another option is to get creative with adhesives and mount a different cartridge in there.
Here is the table itself.

Attachments

• IMG_8525.JPG
    IMG_8525.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8529.JPG
    IMG_8529.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 45
S-35Channel.jpg

My father brought this set home when I was about 10 years old. He enjoyed listening to Pete Fountain and Herb Alpert. First thing of mine I ever played on it was "A Hard Day's Night" soundtrack. He got the version without the tuner. Later, he retrofitted it with an Eico FM stereo unit with the blue "tuning tube". Kind of nice to realize all these years later that my dad was an "audiophile", too.

Bought the exact same Belvedere a few months ago on Facebook for $100.Needs work,and does not power up.

I would respectfully suggest that if you quote a post with a large number of pictures; you edit out all the bracketed IMG enclosed links except the one(s) you are referring to. This post is pretty picture intense as it is. Thanks.:)

Imperial Danish Model 2-ST220H
Maggiebrochure3.jpg

MaggieImperialDanishModel2-ST220H.jpg

Imperial Provincial Model 2-ST217H
MaggieImperialProvincialModel2-ST21.jpg

Stratford Model 1-SC211F
MaggieStratfordModel1-SC211F.jpg

MaggieStratford.jpg

Italian Provincial Model 1-SR206F
S-38Channel.jpg

MaggieItalianProvincial.jpg
rst

OK I revived this thread because I have a simple question.I have a 1958 Magnavox Fantasia,model number 1ST204H,basically it was the first Imperial.It has the famous 182BA amp.The console guts were returned to me a few weeks ago,completely repaired/restored,over five years,after I gave them to the guy to work on.Everything has been reconnected,except for the leads on the speaker cables,that slip over the contacts on the amp.As you know ,the contacts on amp are labeled H,C,and L.My question is,which of these contacts correspond to which speaker.I should have written it down,when I disconnected everything,but did not.I posted this question in one of the console stereo groups on Facebook,and did not get what I believe was a clear answer.

I thought I would update this thread with some scans from what I was told is a 1961 catalog. The first 9 pages, which I didn't upload are of their TV consoles

I have higher res pictures in pdf format if needed PM me.

Mag 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom