Magnavox FD3030 humming at start up

Biggie Z

I recently acquired an old Magnavox FD3030 (Philips CD303) CD player for very cheap advertised as non working. After pressing the play button over and over again it eventually played a CD and worked fine for about a month. Now it's emitting a 120 hertz hum through the line output for about 30 seconds after turning it on then it stops. It doesn't matter if there's a CD in or if the motor is spinning, it will hum for about 30 seconds then stop. If I turn it off and back on it won't hum but if I leave it off for a while it will so it seams like once it's warmed up it works fine. I already replaced all the caps on the power supply board with new Panasonic FM caps of the same value. Does anyone know what else might be causing this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you meanwhile fix it?

Sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere.

One option might be to disconnect and reconnect every single connector and also the IC's (TDA's, SAA's...) on all the boards. Since this thing is nearly 40 years old, there might have occurred some corrosion. Mine had mold on the wires!! :D A lot of guys from Germany recommend to re-solder every single soldering spot in the player.

I'm currently struggling with distorted bass on my 303, but I guess this is the general idea of owning a ancient philips player - you never know what you get and there's always fun to work on :p

//Alex

Back
Top Bottom