Magnepan 1.6/QR, worth a try?

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I don't need more speakers, but a pair of these just popped up locally.

I know they can be a little difficult to place. I have a dedicated room, but it's only 11' wide by 14' long.

I can run a pair of Infinity RS-II (which are pretty large and also need to breath a bit), 24" from the side walls to the outside edge of the speakers and and nearly 5' from the rear wall to the front baffle.

I have some small Monsoon planar speakers and thought they are pretty nice for 6" x 8" speaker, so big planars are tempting.

Of course, no price listed so it may all be moot...

Yes. It's worth a try, especially if you have rs II.

IMO, magnepan speakers and Infinity speakers sound more alike then any other speakers I've ever heard. I frequently run my RS 2b and my Maggie 2.5R simultaniously, as well as years of my 1.6qr and my infinity (crescendo 3009, kappa 8.1, ren 90, rs 4b, etc etc.)

because of their age, theyre may be delam issues with the 1.6, but mine have never needed anything.

Thanks Jazzmans.

Can the delam issue be readily seen without removing the cloth? This is the wires coming off of the Mylar or whatever material the diaphragms are made of, correct?

Seller claims his amp fried, prompting the sale. Kind of questionable considering some new pro amps aren't that expensive compared to new Maggie's.

sort of, look at the tops and the bottoms of the panels where the wires bend 180 degrees,with a bright light, and listen to female alto vocals you know WELL, or piano music you know WELL.

but, the fix is easy,(if a bit tedious) and I don't know if the quasi-ribbon is known for lifting like the wires were.

Worth it!
To check for lifting wires, gently run your fingers along the top and bottoms where the wires turn up and down. You'll be able to tell if they are laying flat or lifting, and when listening, heave bass will cause the wires to buzz if loose.

Magnepans remain the best value in audio IMHO. They are definitely worth getting and repairing.

I've had a pair for several years driven by several different amps. The more power you can throw at them the better. They are a treat for your ears.

Yeah, in my office, my 1.6QR are set up in 'dj headphone' position, whereas my ears are three to four feet away from each panel, which are set up beside my chair, bracketing my ears; off the side walls of the room rather then the front(rear) wall where the screen is.

I watched ...(feck, can't remember, marvel movie) and it was fully immersing, the sound images were stable and focused and it was LOUD!

Maggies really do need POWER and lots of it to sound right. 100 wpc is not enough (IMO) to acheive all the speaker can give you, 200 minimum, and they will eat up that power, it's crazy, but when they're right, they're Glorious! They sound good on lower watts, don't misunderstand me, but they need lots of power to sound their best.

heh, well. lifting has apparently begun on my maggies 1.6QR, unfortunately.

I have been listening to npr's 'morning edition' while drinking my coffee and perusing the news, and I've noticed a distinct buzziness to Steve Inskeeps voice when he hits a certain pitch that is not (I'm pretty sure) in the original signal. dammnit.

I thought I was seeing a doubled shadow under the tops of the wires when I looked with light at 90 degrees off, before the buzziness showed itself. I don't think it's the QR tweeter element.

so, 3M77 is the spray? do I need to get DAP if it's minimal lifting?(purely speculation still, haven't removed the scrims)

Not looking forward to unstapling them. bugger.

I've not be to impressed by them myself ... but I'm a "Horn" guy ... so there is that. :)
But my best friend had a pair of some sort of Planar speakers??? I think they were Maggie's??

He had them for years and then "drop kicked" them to the curb in favor of some crazy "Carver Cubes" with the equivalent of 11 feet of folded planar speaker in them or something like that?? I don't know but he is happy with them!

Horn guys ... seem to be more "loyal" and more "flexible??" Speaking broadly ... we are willing to try "something else??" And general speaking we can be impressed by whatever?? But as a general rule ... we are not going to kick our "Horns" to the curb because we found something "different??"

Maggie's and Martin Logan's, don't really show up often where I am?? But if they did ... and at a price I could afford ..."yeah" I'd bring'em home! But I'd not sell my "Horns" to make space for them???" Horns for life, for me!

My friend is not that "loyal" to a "type" of speaker ... that I've seen?? He sold his "Maggie's" and got the "Caver Cube" things and he is happy with them! If I came across a set of "Maggie's" at a great price?? You bet I'd take'em home! But my KG'4's and Mach One's ... are going nowhere to make "space!" :)

At any rate, if you can pick up a pair that made need some work?? AT less than the going rate?? I'd say go for it! Those don't show up often around here. :)

Freakin' Craig's List sellers! Months go by with nothing interesting and three decent speakers show up in as many months.

The Maggies disappeared immediately (no price was listed)...

Thiel CS3.6, no reply from seller...

Ohm I, no reply from seller...

I don't need any more speakers, but those would have been interesting to try.

Back
Top Bottom