Magnepan MG-IIB's

Vintagegeek

Okay so i picked these up a month ago in mint condition and I am driving them with an SX-1250 but I can not seem to get the image correct. It is just slightly off center to the left and I have been trying to remedy it. My room size is 13x21 and I have them set up on the short wall. I am using the cardas rule, 5' to the faces off the rear wall and 44.75" to center off each speaker. I have had them on the long wall but moving them out basically puts them in my lap. The receiver was recently services adjusted to spec and got a good health report. So now where do I go to resolve this issue without having to use the dreaded balance knob! I am going to try to replace the cable from my CD player. Just love these speakers and I have the same problem with my mmg's. With these should the tweets be in or out? Any input would be appreciated!

Just to start- swap the L/R cables and see if the right one becomes dominant. This will tell you if it is the SX-1250 or the speaker. I've had these and they need space behind them, at least 2' and 3' is going to be better. The next thing to verify is if the left tweeter section is working. I just re-read your post and if the MMG's do the same thing it would appear it is the SX-1250, sorry to say.

Try working with toe in. A little less on the left or a little more on the right might center the image.

My Magnepan speakers are positioned with the tweeters on the outside,and are about 7 feet apart. Side wall interactions are less critical with these since they radiate in a figure 8 pattern - equal sound from the rear and the front. As you get closer to dialing these in, small movements (under 1/2 inch) make a difference. I put strips of masking tape marked in 1/2 increments on the floor so I could keep track of speaker positioning. Took about a month of tweaking to get them set where I like them best.

Try working with toe in. A little less on the left or a little more on the right might center the image.

My Magnepan speakers are positioned with the tweeters on the outside,and are about 7 feet apart. Side wall interactions are less critical with these since they radiate in a figure 8 pattern - equal sound from the rear and the front. As you get closer to dialing these in, small movements (under 1/2 inch) make a difference. I put strips of masking tape marked in 1/2 increments on the floor so I could keep track of speaker positioning. Took about a month of tweaking to get them set where I like them best.

I concur. Maggies have a small sweet spot; thus, a quarter inch movement can have a significant effect on imaging. BTW, I also use the masking tape and also have tried both tweeter in and tweeter out.

I have been tweaking with the toe in and distances between centers. The cardas rule was a good starting point for placement. The receiver was just serviced, pots cleaned, aligned, bias set as well as DC offset. The tweeters in both speakers are working and if I pull the fuse you hear them drop out. I will keep tweaking and keep you all posted. Thank you for your input!

I picked up a pair of these a few weeks ago. The seller told me the tweeter panels didn't work. I got them home and they aren't working at all. I am looking forward to attempting to get these things going.

Ski, order the kit now as magnepan will not ship the kits in the during winter months. Their easy to repair but do take some time to do!

Ski, order the kit now as magnepan will not ship the kits in the during winter months. Their easy to repair but do take some time to do!

They don't ship the kits in winter because the adhesive is apparently water based and can freeze during shipping. However, that very same adhesive may be available locally at a place like Grainger. It's 3M adhesive "30NF". They might ship some wire and solder if asked nicely. One thing, though: gotta call on the phone. I could not find any way to contact the parts department via the 'net.

I always love seeing more Dynaco and I'm still loving my A35s that my dad bought new!

J.R.

ugh. you guys just reminded me that I have some beautiful MGIIBs that need attention downstairs. Time to order the glue....

picked up a pair today.
yes I see the thread is still alive-

pretty good bass for a "cabinet" that's 2 inches deep!!

picked up a pair today.
yes I see the thread is still alive-

pretty good bass for a "cabinet" that's 2 inches deep!!

Cabinet may be 2" deep but the speaker itself is just an inch thick.

I don't think AK kills any threads, you can go back a decade and haul up a post to add to unless folks got uncivil and the thread was locked.

Still enjoying the heck out of the MG-IICs I bought from jjohnson end of August ...

And - I came home yesterday and Emma was cranking them with Earth, Wind and Fire ...
60w Tube power! Big Fun!!

Back
Top Bottom