Magnepans

Eilati

Well to all you nay-sayers who blasted me for the Infinity SM-150's that I paid $25 delivered for. I just got a pair of Magnepans
MG-2's that look like they were just made. They sound much better than the Infinity's but could use a little top end. I have a pair of EPI concave dome tweeters that sound great. How would I hook them up to the Magnepans. Any ideas.
Thanks in advance.
URi

Maybe your speakers need a tune up or repair. This has been mentioned on other threads here, look into that. The magneplanars are dipoles, meaning that they radiate from both the front and back. I don't know what the effect would be of adding a tweeter that only radiates to the front, but if you want an add on I would suggest to look for a dipole supertweeter. I think that Rat Shack used to sell some Lineaum dipole add on tweeters, they might work. Look on ebay for a while and see if any turn up. Meanwhile, just use the treble knob. Just my opinions.

Last edited:
maggie

I really dont think any dynamic tweeter is a good match for the MG_2 try using a ribbon or leaf driver & X/O at about 8khz to avoid directionality & beaming;)

The Maggie MGII is a really, really old model. Figure about 25 years at least. As such, it was Jim Winey's early technology. It did not use a ribbon or quasi-ribbon as current models do and as such, the treble really kind of sucks. More so now because they used aluminum wire grids on the mylar which corrodes over time. There really is not much you can do for it.

Heil AMT 1s. They are a bit quicker than ribbons and much more efficient than Maggies, but split your signal and put a cheap SE 6BQ5 console amp on the Heils (outside the Maggies, ear level) and any problem with highs will disappear. And they are dipoles. Ebay or they are still made by ESS.

You know you can get a pair of new Magnaplanars MMGs for $550 from Magnapan direct. It uses the quasi-ribbon driver so the high end is a lot better than the old MGIIs. The MMGs are a tad smaller (about 4' x 14") and would probably need a sub, but all in all it's still a pretty cool deal.

Maggies

Hi,
I only paid $100.00 for the Maggies w/the Yamaha CR-840 receiver, the speakers were $80 and the rec. $20.00

Back
Top Bottom