magnepen model Mg-Ic?

Donny

Big Damn Hero
I haven't been around AK long but these sound interesting could be a real find $300 for the pair but I spent my money yesterday on hpms

you never know... I never seen a pair before though!

MAGNEPAN SPK, MG- 1C 2-WAY FLOORSTANDING
Description: MAGNEPLANAR WOOFER & TWEETER, OAK SIDE RAILS
Manufacture Years: 1987 - 1988
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $900.00
USED: $275.00

hint: Check ebay "completed auctions"

thx for the info :) not money makers anyway $300 for em to get 300-400 add risk=not worth it

The 1c's are a little loved Maggie even amongst it's staunchest fans for several reasons:

It was the first mid-sized panel to use the L-shaped feet that also tilted the panel back. Wobblier than a good jello.

It was a costcutter model with minimal wood side pieces compared to the elaborate (and expensive) solid oak wooden frame of the preceding 1b model. Panel rigidity was not good.

First to use the now standard horrible Maggie speaker banana sized speaker jack with useless locking hexnut...a real PIA.

The cheaper construction plus a few cross-over changes made it one of the few Maggies which soudned WORSE than the model it replaced.

With Maggies generally look for the newest model you can afford.

IMHO, the only Magnaplanar models worth getting, are the ones that use RIBBON tweeters. Those that have seperate aluminum grid wires on the same planar panel for the tweeter, will a) invariably have tweeter failure sooner or later, due to the aluminum wire corroding and cracking apart and b) not have nearly as good high end extension and definition as the ones with the discrete ribbon tweeter. I'll bet that 75% of all people who have older Magnaplanars with tweeter grids on the panel- they don't realize it, but the tweeters probably aren't working anymore... seen that SO many times.

So, given that, I'd pass on all of the "1xx" models. Probably most of the 2's too...

Regards,
Gordon.

Quite true, that's why with model 1.5 up they went to a metal foil/quasi-ribbon arrangement.

With earlier models a dead tweeter probably wouldn't be missed by many as the HF didn't go past 18kHz.

Older models also benefitted from regular fuse changes too.
Over time the tweeter fuse degrades and cuts off HF performance.

:lmao:

The models you would pass on are the older 1 and 2 series ?

I was never keen on the 2.x hybrids.
The ribbon was always so different sounding than the mag-planar mid/bass panel.

The 3.x's were OK but even the 3.5 is out-classed by the latest 1.6 in every department except HF extension and purity.

Back
Top Bottom