Magnum Dynalab find

rudedogg

AK Member
7D34555F-3895-4370-8F39-7492284E3549.jpeg i picked up this Magnum Dynalab MD-90 off a nearby CL ad. I always loved the look of MD tuners, but had never heard one. This one popped up semi-local, so I watched it for a few weeks and the price dropped, so I made an offer and grabbed it. I hooked it up in tandem with my beloved Sansui TU 717. I adjusted the output of the Sui to match the MD tuner, then tuned the same stations and switched back and forth between the two. I’ll be damned if I can tell them apart. The Sui sounds fantastic, and the MD sounds exactly the same! Lol. I am very happy with my purchase! I soooo love the damn meters!

Congrats to ya. I too have never heard a MD live but look forward to the day I get to.
She sure is purdy.
And that Sui tuner is def. no slouch. One of my favorites.
Good for you.

Congratulations on a great find. Expensive when new, an excellent value previously owned.
Connect yours to a quality antenna and enjoy exceptional reception with a dead quiet background.
The meters are way cool but of little value. Mine barely move.
A picture and story of my Etude(pronounced Atude) is in the other owners thread.
Happy(FM)listening!

The meters are way cool but of little value. Mine barely move.
Hmmm... I do need a better antenna with this tuner in comparison to my Yamaha and Sui tuners. But the meters move a lot, not so much the multi path, but the center and signal meters do. They even move if I spin the dial when the tuner is powered off! Strange....

Hey rudegogg
Can't speak for your model but the tuner circuity is in standby mode when connected to a live AC source.
The off/on switch turns off the lights. (From the owners manual)

Congrat's on your new to you MD tuner and yes she is a beaut!

As for an antenna, I don't know what your price range is but might I suggest the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 . It is an exceptional antenna and can be placed indoors or outside.

I have one and it works excellent with my MD FT-101A tuner, in conjunction with a MD-205 Signal Sleuth.

Just a suggestion, anyway enjoy your new fun toy!

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/st-2-omnidirectional-fm-antenna/

Magnum-Dynalab-ST-2_fm_anten_camarossaudio (2).jpg

Also happen to find this one, which appears to be the same style antenna (but looks like it does not come with the coaxial cable?) for a lot less $ from this place.....

http://www.fawcettboat.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=53B8E163726C474FAEB50FE71AA800A0

METZ_288_lg ANTENNA.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom