Magnum Dynalab

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
MD has come out with two XM tuners, the 606 and 609. The prices are high, as one would expect, but they have tube output and lots of fancy tech inside.

Has anyone seen/heard one of these?

'No' for me. But, a question........with the low fidelity of satellite broadcasts (and especially the bogus HD radio broadcasts), I am wondering why one might be willing to spend big bucks on a tuner for same?

...I am wondering why one might be willing to spend big bucks on a tuner for same?

I'm wondering too. That's why I started this thread. I have a Polk XM tuner, which is awful. It doesn't make sense to me that MD would risk its generally good reputation, so they should have managed to get decent sound out of their units. The question is how decent, and at what cost?

My guess is your question can only be answered by hearing one. Sorry no help from me..

Grumpy

The broadcast of XM uses a lot of compression, so they are probably pairing it with a tube to take away some of the digital harshness. Not sure how good it will sound given the source material, but I would think it would help a bit for people that already listen to XM at home.

The reason they have my interest at all is that if I take the PCM output of the Polk XM tuner and run it through a McIntosh MDA-1000, the results are quite livable.

If they've written algorithms to try to correct for the XM compression's problems (which will never be as good as just not compressing in the first place) then used tubes to restore some warmth, they may have managed to get decent sound despite the XM limitations.

The theoretical answer that you can't replace lost bits is correct, but upsampling players show us that you can make the results from PCM more musical if you know what you're doing. The question is, can upsampling help XM's compressed signal enough to be worth MD's prices. Like Dave said, the only way to know is to listen.

Doesn't Music Direct or one (or more) of the other big e-tailers offer a 30-day no-risk trial on gear they sell? If so, you can listen for the cost of shipping. http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73823

You might also post your question on the FM Tuner Forum: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/

BTW - I know nothing of satellite radio other than it exists, is a low-rez format and requires a monthly fee. Does it also require a proper dish antenna mounted external to the house?

BTW - I know nothing of satellite radio other than it exists, is a low-rez format and requires a monthly fee. Does it also require a proper dish antenna mounted external to the house?
For most people the answer is no. They have a small antenna that you can put in a window that works for most folks. I have an XM Myfi and its internal antenna picks up a nice signal at work, but at home, I have to have the external antenna in a window for a few of the rooms in the house. It mainly depends on your location, the location of the room it is in, and how close you are to a transponder.

I listen to Music Choice on cable a similar low resolution source.
I think the best you can do with low res is make it very pleasant sounding.
My tube equalizer and decent connects make the better sounding recordings quite pleasant to listen to.
That's a 400 dollar modded device though, not 3500 clams.

That's a 400 dollar modded device though, not 3500 clams.
That's the real question here. Has MD really come up with something special for the $3500, or is it just mediocre sound for a lot of money. We still someone who has actually heard one of these to answer.

I am interested too. I also have the Polk audio XRT12 and have been disappointed with it ever since I bought it!

I am interested too. I also have the Polk audio XRT12 and have been disappointed with it ever since I bought it!
Disappointed is putting it mildly. To make the Polk listenable, I have to run the digital out through McIntosh's $8,000 wonder-DAC, and even then it's marginal. What's weird is that our cars that have XM sound better than the Polk at home, and I can think of no decent reason that should happen.

So... anyone actually heard one the of MDs?

What's weird is that our cars that have XM sound better than the Polk at home, and I can think of no decent reason that should happen.

Maybe the road noise and other outer distractions.

Buy one of your car XM units and 12vdc wallwart and listen happily ever after.

I have actually done this and it sounded like bad FM at best. I purchaced the Polk Audio XRT12 because the brochure stated that with the Burr-Brown DAC, that it will give the best XM sound possible. Still sounds like bad FM!

To be honest, anyone who would spend that sort of money on that medium would be hard pressed to get me to take a glowing review seriously. No amount of tubes or premium parts can change the fact its a crap signal to begin with. I own both XM and Sirius and love them for what they are but c'mon I am a realist.

Back
Top Bottom