Mahindra Roxor - About Time!!

sKiZo

Hates received: 92644 43.20°N 85.50°W
awroxor-2119.jpg

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles

** Currently not road legal in the States, but I don't imagine it will be long before somebody markets a kit to get them ready to license. Biggest issues would be lighting and air bags I suspect, and of course having to go rounds with the local DMV gestapo to get a proper title. It DOES have belts and a fully selectable 2/4 wheel low/high drivetrain, which is pretty sweet on what's otherwise an entry offering.

Looks like a WW2 era Willys. Speed is comparable to those too, the wee little flatheads and the really low rear gearing made them top out around 40. My boss has a 1947 CJ2A and it starts to sound not happy over 35-40.

I have two Samurais. Rust is killing them.

Samurai has an 80 inch wheelbase. Roxor has 96 inch wheelbase. 80 inch is way too short, although it turns sharp when backing up.

Looks like a WW2 era Willys. Speed is comparable to those too, the wee little flatheads and the really low rear gearing made them top out around 40. My boss has a 1947 CJ2A and it starts to sound not happy over 35-40.

'58 Hotchkiss-assembled (i.e., @ St Denis, Paris, France) Willys here. Can "jet" up to max ~50mph, more than adequate for plyin' & playin' round on the (so-called) "D" roads @ these parts. This is NOT a vehicle one takes to Freeways, never was such. My ride started out life in (West) Germany, was deployed to Nam circa '66 for service under the 82nd A/B, Company O (Ranger), 320th (field) Artillery battalion. It is one of the (very) few that were returned to Europe during the mid Seventies (i.e., post "fall").

The "max speed" @ which these "G.P." 1/4-ton "trucks" is not the thing: what is important is, to borrow from Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried: you hop in, you ponder, you start (w/ your foot) it, you drive it, you think about where else it has been, what else it has seen, and you think about those who used it @ theater. And then you enjoy everything else it has to offer.

Hats (er, "covers") off to Roxor and its Mahindra, an homage made "tangible" to the finest and fittest of them all.

Who was it said (roughly) "six vehicles/machines "won" WW2", one of which was the 1/4-ton G.P. truck" (i.e., MA & MB models)? Was it Patton?

Thanks for posting this @sKiZo, a nice thing to awaken to.

Last edited:
BTW, as long as long as one of these fellas, MA-MA38A1, can pass muster @ "Control Technique", which amounts to being basically "roadworthy" and safe (braking, lighting, etc.). Having passed that check, you're on the road, sans doors, seatbelts, converters, air (read: wind) bags, climate-control system, etc. And gain one is not expected to be hittin' the freeways w/ these guys. You could: just keep to the right-most lane and spend as little time as possible @ a freeway, use it (only) for brief, quick(er) connections between the "D" roads where ya belong. Or "farm roads", tractor paths, forest grounds, prairie jaunts, etc. You never get "stuck", especially when you kick iin that front-end Dana differential, go all-wheel drive, and plow through pert-near any terrain.

These lil guys might just surprise you when it comes to handling. I used to drive a post office jeep (shorter wheelbase) on the highways around these parts. Granted, I was peddling along about as fast as it would go with the big six cylinder, but it never really felt all dangerous doing it.

Maybe get lucky with a re-gear. I remember my brother's 60ish Willys WAS rated for road use, and THAT was one scary ride!

Who was it said (roughly) "six vehicles/machines "won" WW2", one of which was the 1/4-ton G.P. truck" (i.e., MA & MB models)? Was it Patton?

Not sure if it was Patton, but it will usually make honorable mention on any top ten list. We're probably talking 1.5 million vehicles between the Jeep and the six wheeler GMC transports.

Last edited:
awroxor-2119.jpg

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles

** Currently not road legal in the States, but I don't imagine it will be long before somebody markets a kit to get them ready to license. Biggest issues would be lighting and air bags I suspect, and of course having to go rounds with the local DMV gestapo to get a proper title. It DOES have belts and a fully selectable 2/4 wheel low/high drivetrain, which is pretty sweet on what's otherwise an entry offering.
It needs towing or trailoring in the US, like any other non-road certified vehicle.

As some one who has been around Willys Jeeps since 1962 and currently totally immersed in them while I completely rebuild my 1948 CJ-2A. A properly tuned good condition 134L (flat head 4) stock drive train Willys jeep will do 60mph all day long. People who normally drive a $40,000 less then 7 year old car just don't have the experience with a vehicle like the Little Jeep. I drove my Jeep (it was dads at the time) for 3 years in High school and I can tell you any number of times it exceeded 60mph. For those that like the numbers 134L Flat head t-90 transmission D-18 transfer case D-41 rear axle 5.38 gears 30" tall tires (stock height) 60mph equals 3600 rpm The engine is rated at 60Bhp at 4000 rpm. if you happen to have the 25% OD unit so common now days the RPM drops to 2700rpm.

As to the Roxor it is much larger then a Willys

Overall lenght Roxar Willys MB-CJ-3B 1941 to 1964
148" 123"
Overall width 62" 571/8"

Height 75" 66 3/4" (varies slightly between models)

Wheel Base 96" 80-81" (the CJ-5 went to 81" in 1955)

Weight 3035lbs roughly 2300lbs on average for the various models

Nothing wrong with the Roxor for what it is but its not a reincarnation of a Willys Jeep.

with a 15" longer wheelbase and

Pretty sure my boss's 2A is all stock driveline wise. I know he rebuilt the engine so it should be fine. His is a 3 on the column, not sure if that affects final drive but I've been with him in it at 40 and it just doesn't make sounds that make me think it would be thrilled at more rpm.

Also just based on how the thing rides, the idea of doing 60 in it is terrifying.

I don't know the road at all, but I do have a 1940s record with the lyric " I'm gonna drive my Jeep - beep, beep - along Sepulveda boulevard ... "

Not a freeway, now or then, but traffic @ the 40s (probably) moved more smoothly & "@ deliberate pace" than that of the "present-day" Sepulveda Blvd.

Back
Top Bottom