Main rig redone. Kinda long.

davidb1

Here is a post from December. I got the Van Alstine goodies today- a Vision SL w/ remote and an Insight 440 HC (220 WPC) with the double die option. I about killed myself getting the amp out of its excellent packaging and into my rack.

"A recent upgrade to my system (Modi Multibit) has me wondering how much to notably better my NAD with a new integrated. Must haves are remote and a preamp out (not preamp out main in jumpers- trying to avoid any more cable spaghetti.) The NAD build quality I find suspect, having had to service this one twice for the same problem- a bad ribbon cable- it would still produce sound in one channel when turned all the way down. My speakers are 4 ohm aDs L710 and I might upgrade to something bigger down the line. Overall I like the sound of the NAD but maybe it is a touch "heavy" in the mid bass. It does have plenty of power for my open LR/DR setup. (120w/ch @ 8 ohm)"

That was December. Since then I added a DSpeaker Anti-Mode sub correction DSP unit (thanks SQLsavior) and a second sub - SVS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F8Y7SO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which kicks butt. My whole condo now shakes, even with the Auralex Sub-Dude isolation pads. Gonna play with the sub levels tomorrow.

So it turns out the NAD was comparatively veiled and lacking at the frequency extremes. My old CD of Animals now has top end sparkle that was completely MIA. I can hear Roger's bass line without any problems at all. Placement of drums is now super easy to follow.

Dishwalla's Opaline is much, much clearer and is not the hot mess I thought it was.

That's all the listening I have done so far. I let it play for a good 20 minutes before any critical listening.

Kudos to AVA and the excellent build quality, great sound and packaging, and excellent customer service.

BTW, Frank is a huge proponent of Blue Jeans cable, of which I have a couple and agree with him.

Hoping to get a new flat screen next year and put it in the spare bdr. That will allow me to clean up the wiring and position the speakers a little better.

Back
Top Bottom