Maintaining a Sansui AU-517

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Tdogzthmn, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

Hello,
    I recently purchased a Sansui 517 in great condition from a seller off Craigslist. Prior to picking up the amp, I had been reading that it can be a good idea to replace/upgrade some of the capacitors and resistors to bring the amp back up to spec.

Before deciding to make any alterations or repairs, I though about bring the unit to a local repair shop that advertises its work on vintage audio gear to check if the amp is functioning optimally. If the amp is functioning properly is there still a need to recap it?

2. inductor

inductor Super Member

been answered in another section

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

They can test it and tell you it's functioning optimally, but if it sounds lifeless (which is likely at this age) then it needs to be reconditioned - and I don't mean 'recapped' I mean reconditioned, in my book there is a difference. However, if they test it and say it's OK - and you like the sound of it, then that's OK too.

NB: Tdogzthmn - It's considered bad form to post the same question twice.

skippy124 likes this.
  4. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

Once I'm able to discuss the amp with the repair technician I will follow up in this thread.

I've been trying to learn more about the usual issues with these amps so I can properly vet the repair shop's knowledge of Sansui gear.

5. roger2

roger2 . Subscriber

6. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

Does anyone have tips for removing that reddish brown glue that was used under the capacitors? Is a solvent required or can it be chipped away without damaging the board or surrounding components?

7. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Well-Known Member

A drop of acetone and a wooden little stick, is what I use. After that, alcohol and a q-tip.

8. Hyperion

I am pleased to see you ask about this, :) essential in my opinion, but so often forgotten.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Multimode, Overundr1 and skippy124 like this.
  9. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Quote --- A drop of acetone and a wooden little stick, is what I use. After that, alcohol and a q-tip.
    Forgot to add the gallon of patience :)

Godi and Hyperion like this.
  10. Hyperion

And some of the alcohol should be taken orally for stress free results. :D

(a somewhat different kind of alcohol - to be clear ;) )

Edit update
    And in other news, I have just refitted the power modules to the AU-517 I am reconditioning, DC offset and bias set perfectly. I have to do 'the business' to the Phono amp and remount the new speaker terminals, then it is done.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    pete_mac, Hipocrates, MBuras and 2 others like this.
  11. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

I do have some nice japanese whiskey that ought to do the trick!

Overundr1 and Hyperion like this.
  12. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

I'm now in possession of the amp and overall its in great condition. There are some minor scratches on the top and sides which I can sand and repair easily. The faceplate is very nice but there are one or two tiny scuffs that I'd like to address. The aluminum black seems to be a good method to address these but i'd like to hear for others who have restored amps.

13. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Please post the serial number for the database.

- Pete