Major League Baseball

75Center

started today in KC. The Royals lost as usual. I remember the day when I always went to the home opener. Back in the 80's I knew the lineup by heart. I knew who pitched and hit right or left handed.

Today I couldn't name a Royals player to save my life. :no:

Washington Nationals. First in war, first in peace, last in the National League East. And then we have the other hometown team, the Orioles. Oy vey.:(

At least we have the Capitals.

The pennant this year will be decided on 2 factors although how those 2 factors get's weighed is a calculation that admittedly I do not know:

- Highest payroll vs league average
- Highest percentage and amount of steroid use vs league average

The pennant this year will be decided on 2 factors although how those 2 factors get's weighed is a calculation that admittedly I do not know:

- Highest payroll vs league average
- Highest percentage and amount of steroid use vs league average

where did you learn that, the Glenn Beck School of Sports? :lmao:

Pro Baseball is probably more drug free now than ever, as testing has eliminated the long and well documented abuse of "uppers",amphetamines from the 50's, and. in later days, cocaine. The game endured half a century of that, and will also survive its cup of coffee with PED's.

I'm very glad MLB is back, and that the Yankees won their opener. Was a bit odd watching their breath condense like they were playing in Green Bay, but, the threat of snow flurries didn't detract from it all that much.

Play Ball!

The "Boys of Summer"...an' a lot of the openers they needed to wear Carrhartts...Uhh, mebbe they oughta postpone the season opener til a LITTLE later in April ?

Opening day for the sad-sack.....Baltimore Orioles.
They started out the season 2-16 last year.
So anything would be an improvement.....................................

Steve

The "Boys of Summer"...an' a lot of the openers they needed to wear Carrhartts...Uhh, mebbe they oughta postpone the season opener til a LITTLE later in April ?

Agreed. I mean really, who needs 162 regular season games? Start on 15 April and complete the season (including playoffs) by Oct 15 and reduce the number of regular season games to 150.

Actually, being in the land of the Nationals and Orioles, you could end the season at the All Star break.:worried:

With one of the "lowest" payrolls in Pro Baseball, I'm looking forward to my Minnesota Twins to be right in the thick of things again this year! :yes:

Retro

The owners?

True enough, Scuzzer. Yet, I wonder if early season games (except opening day) in northern climes actually result in a positive cash flow. Lots of empty seats in early April.

In truth, however, I don't really care. I ushered two sons through baseball for about 10 years each and have seen enough baseball for several lifetimes. When I go to a major league game (infrequently any more), it's about friends, beer, peanuts (in that order). I also like to go to as yet unvisited ball parks just to check out the architecture. The actual game is third or fourth down my priority list.

College football and basketball float my boat (as does the NFL to a lesser degree). All other spectator sports are just an excuse to drink beer and kill time IMHO.

When I go to a major league game (infrequently any more), it's about friends, beer, peanuts (in that order).

Yep. I hit the park about once a decade and generally leave around the 7th inning stretch with a couple of dogs and beers safely tucked in my gut.

Is 2011 the year that the Orioles young pitching staff actually live up to the hype?

Hmmm.............we'll see?

Steve

Is 2011 the year that the Orioles young pitching staff actually live up to the hype?

Hmmm.............we'll see?

Steve

It appears the Orioles are picking up right where they left off in the final third of last season, winning their first three, and ahead of Detroit in todays game. Buck Showalter has these boys playing like they mean it, and they will be fun to watch this year. The AL East is a tough division, but nobody will be overlooking them any more

Go Dodgers! Don't like the owners but support the team. And this may be the last year Vin Scully calls games, he's a national treasure.

Back
Top Bottom