Make a corian plinth?

sunvalleylaw

Addicted Member
I currently like the idea and look of the kenwood KD-5*0 turntables. I also have an office reception desk being partly made with very similar corian. Got me thinking. Has anyone made, or seen anyone make, a custom plinth out of corian in a manner similar to the Kenwoods? Or in some other style?

Just curious.

Haven't seen one, but I can see the appeal. Looks good, has great density, and can be shaped with common power tools as long as you have good smooth cut blades installed ...

Be sure to post back with the results if you go ahead with it.

I've heard that the counter sellers/installers will give(or sell for very little) the sink cut outs from jobs already done. You would not be able to be picky about colors, though.

I would think a single thickness, usually about 1/2 inch wouldn't provide quite enough stability. But, epoxying two pieces should be plenty, and give a nice edge for routing with a bevel, roundover, whatever...

I researched mfd laminated plinths, layered and w/the surface plate will offer excellent performance. suggest 3 point leveling feet on plinth for leveling platter to base plate = v groove zero. (with a good TT) instead of some un-level table surface. as shown example.

wdybWKj.jpg

I do not have the skills to do this at this point. But am interested in it as I do like the look of the Kenwood tables that are built with the stuff. And people here do seem to like those tables. If I did it, I would probably try to have a lighter color corian, and try to feature that visually. But most likely, I will just end up buying a Kenwood.

But I do think it is a cool idea, and was curious if was possible and if anyone had tried it. Seems like it is possible, and some people have.

Back
Top Bottom