Make your own treatment panels at low cost

Interface-Rick

For many years I've used and recommended this process to customers:
Make a sandwich of 1/4" pegboard in a 2"X4" frame and fill it with fiberglass insulation. Skin it on the exposed side with natural fiber fabric to match or contrast with room finish and either place the panels against the walls or attach them, if desired. I treated the listening room in my store this way about 30 years ago and did the same in my "man cave" at home. (a finished second floor of 120 year old carriage house.) In the store, I covered the panels with flameproof fabric to meet code but in home that's not necessary. Since many modern structure use hard walls, floors and ceiling, the acoustics are often highly reflective so the spaces sound hollow. A few 4'X8'X4" panels can make a world of difference and cost is reasonable. If you get creative, you can even make room dividers this way. If you own the space, you can screw the 2"X4''s to the existing walls driving 6" screws through them into the studs in the wall and then apply the insulation and single pegboard panel over it. Added advantages to this scheme include improved insulation if panel is applied to exterior wall and reduced disturbance to neighbors if applied to dividing wall between living spaces. See attached photo 3 of part of my system in forum "Member's Systems" (look for "My Mancave system the one that ate Chicago" and you'll see one of these panels behind speaker and antique chair. There are several others in the room but not visible in this view.
It's also really helpful to use Jute pad under wool carpet or rug when possible because these also absorb sound and reduce the reflections from floor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom