Making a case for my 500c

bberkom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I don't have to tell you Fisher guys how good my 500c sounds. But it came to me with chassis looking pretty rough and no case. I'm still not very good with electronics, but my first love has always been woodworking. I have been working on a case for this receiver for a few months now. But when it started acting up, I pulled it from my systems and the case became low priority. With a lot of patient help from Dave G, it's up and running again, and I finally finished it.

IMG_5782.JPG IMG_5779.JPG IMG_5777.JPG IMG_5780.JPG

The bottom panel is walnut veneer plywood for cost and stability reasons, but the base sides, top, and fascia are all taken from a single large board of air-dried Tennessee walnut that I took straight from the saw and have been drying for a while now. The grain of the main case is running perpendicular to how it would run on a veneered case, but that allows from stronger edge-grain joints at the corners. The fascia is attached with biscuits and epoxy. I cut and painted the perforated metal, and it's easily removable. The bottom has cutouts for ventilation as well.

It was a fun project and makes me appreciate this receiver even more. I still need to tighten up some of the light leaks, but the thing is so heavy now I may never move it again! Thanks again to Dave for his help.

Beautiful! You don't have the dimensions you used, do you? I have some old cherry cabinetry I've been saving for a case for my 400, but I don't have the dimensions or a plan.
Dave

Here's the link that inspired me to build my own cases:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cabinet-plans-from-my-800c.447478/

I make the fascia first cutting the top/bottom and sides long. Then I cut them down until I get the right spacing to fit the faceplate. Once you got that, you got the dimensions of the rest of the case except the front to rear measurement which can be 15" - 16" or thereabouts.

Fun to do IF you got the time and the tools.

I agree on all points. That link has some info I used as well. The only critical fit is the faceplate to fascia and should guide how big the rest of the case is. The fascia should have a small lip that sits behind the faceplate to block as much light as possible. I just measured my amp to get placement of cutouts and mounting holes for the bottom panel. It does take a lot of time. I probably had 25 hours in mine from rough lumber and planning to finished piece.

That looks great! Nice Job!

What did you use for a finish? I'm a woodworker myself, and been thinking about a fun project like this for some of my receivers. What is your thought on using dovetail joints?

That looks great! Nice Job!

What did you use for a finish? I'm a woodworker myself, and been thinking about a fun project like this for some of my receivers. What is your thought on using dovetail joints?
Hey sorry just saw your questions. I sanded to 320 or 400 grit and used a couple of coats of Danish Oil (boiled linseed oil), lightly buffed with steel wool between coats, and that's it! I may go back and apply some paste wax later, but since it's not going to see any regular physical wear, it would mainly be an aesthetic thing. I don't love a high-gloss look anyways and try to steer clear of hard finishes like polyurethane unless for a tabletop or chair that will get a lot of use.

Dovetails would be fine for something like this structurally. Could provide an interesting look.

That's a cool cabinet you made! I like how the grain goes from front-to-back instead of side-to-side. Very different. I plan on getting a cabinet for my 400 once I'm done with restoration...though I dread the new weight it will be when everything is done.

It is even heavier now, but I don't plan on moving it much! The grain direction provides stronger edge grain instead of end grain joints at the mitered corners since I used solid wood for the top and sides. Not traditionally how these cases look but should hold up better over time.

Wow, that does look really nice. I've commissioned my brother-in-law to build me a new case since he's the experienced woodworker. He was wondering how best to do this (solid wood vs veneered plywood, finish before or after assembling or what) since this is a bit of new animal to him. His forte is furniture. But this will help. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom