Making speaker grills

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Some of you may know i got some new speakers. Unfortunately they do not sell these speakers with grills. They feel it detracts from their "beauty"

Well at my house no grills is like an open invite for disaster. Wardsweb was kind enough to send me his only pair of universal speaker grill kits. These are long discontinued so I consider myself very fortunate !

Not really much to DIY with these cept to cut them to size. It was a bit tricky as you want to make sure these are cut right or ya wont be square.

Anyways got both frames cut and glued yesterday and got one grill covered with cloth. I opted to not do a complete frontal grill as I wanted to see the very cool looking veneer.
Here is a pic of one thats done. Now to just get some stand an I will be all set :)

Thanks again Ward !!

Grumpy

See, I knew you could do it. Then again, with that grill kit, I think your wife could have made them :D Glad it worked out for you.

I was gonna bring the sides of the grills in to so i could see even more of the speaker but opted not to. Glad I didn't as it prolly would have looked pretty dumb.

Wardsweb said:
See, I knew you could do it. Then again, with that grill kit, I think your wife could have made them :D Glad it worked out for you.

Wards, you know that Ms Grumpy is the clever one!

Grump, you are just teasing us(me, anyway) with that little bit of 'cheesecake' showing. Nice to see you got them out of the box. Care to post full frontal and profile, just to egg on some long-distance lust?

Oh God, foam surrounds...

With all the fun seen in the foam vs rubber surround thread, I could not resist...

Seriously, what make/model are they? New or vintage?

I have a couple grill-less speakers from thrift finds, and several others that could use some new cloth. At the same time, I'm thinking that the same old black and brown is pretty damned boring. (No offense, Grumpy, yours look great and very professional) I'll be building some in the coming weeks.

Anyone else have a desire to do something 'different' with grill coverings? Anyone care to share some examples?

grumpy said:
here ya go

Thanks, Grumpy! :banana: Was it good for you, too?

Manitoulin said:
With all the fun seen in the foam vs rubber surround thread, I could not resist...

Seriously, what make/model are they? New or vintage?

Those are the Audio Note AN-E's Not sure of the level; SP, SE, or SE-Silver Differences are in the internal and voice-coil wiring. About 94 db sensitivity. Heard a pair of the SE with an Oto SE integrated, which was the 'Anonymous gear' that BrianB posted for sale, last month. (Can't find that thread, now?)

Grump got the pair and Almarro's on his road trip to The Lair of Dr. Evil! :D

DOH! almost forgot! Nice job on the grills, Grumpy. Did you hook them up, at all, or still holding out for the stands before you fire them up?

Grump, can you post a rear view of the grills? I'n looking to make some and would like to see the details. I'm guessing the frames are some softwood? then the cloth is streched (not too much) and stapled? Then velcro in place to the cabinet?

Looks great BTW! :thmbsp:

Sharp looking job, Grump.

I've made grilles for my homemade bass and guitar cabs using L-shaped outside corner molding for the frame. I cut the 45 degree angles so that the molding formed a protruding ridge inset from the edge and put narrow flat iron L-shaped mending plates at the corners on the side facing the cab. When the cloth was streched around it, it formed a 45 degree bevel where it stretches over what is supposed to be the inside corner of the molding. Looks sort of like Grumpy's picture. I used double-adhesive foam tape to attach the cloth. The molding did not turn out to be rugged enough to chuck in and out of the vehicle for gigging but it would probably be fine for home use.

Here is a shot of the other grill frame before covering it.

personally a couple of 1X2's to whatever length dtapled, screwed and braced with a brick tie at 90 degrees or an L bracket seems to hold up really well for gigging.... or just buy some old acoustic gear, that stuff is invincible

Here is a pic as it sits on some cheap Sanus stands i picked up.

They look nice!

Now, on to other things, like a minor thread hijack!

I've got a pair of church rummage sale speaks that are very nice, except the grill cloth has pulled away from the frame in several spots. It was obviously glued when it was new, but I'm clueless as to what kind of adhesive to use. Your new frames appear to have plastic sides. What kind of adhesive did you use? I've thought of double-stick tape, and I know others have tried spray fabric adhesive. My grill cloth is quite snug when stretched into position on the frame, so the adhesive will have to be pretty strong, and/or set up pretty fast.

Any suggestions? Something that won't glue my thumbs to the frame along with the cloth? :stupid:

Clay

Used a spay adhesive I got at K Mart. It was half the price of the 3M stuff. Seems to have worked pretty good but its messy. I sprayed it onto a piece of cardboard and then applied with my finger so I could apply only where i wanted it. If you want the brand name i can get it for you.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom