making true Dunkin’ Donuts coffee at home

illini

The Past is Alive
Ok. So.

I drink a lot of Dunkin’ Donuts hot coffee with cream while on the road and I would like to know how I can make my favorite coffee at home. I want it to taste the same as the drive-thru hot DD coffee (w/cream).

1. What coffee maker should I procure?

2. What coffee is needed?

3. What cream do I need?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

They sell DD coffee in bulk so that is the coffee to start with. Do it in a percolator. Electric or stove top.

Check out the Bunn High altitude coffee makers. It brews coffee at a higher temperature to compensate for lower boiling point of water at altitude. I have this one, Bunn NHSD Velocity Brew High Altitude 10 cup Home Coffee
I live at 6,152 feet it does make a difference.
Brewer.

8DB99E03-F2CA-4F43-A40C-5E2BCFC6B17F.png

Last edited:
Notwithstanding my endorsement above the best cup of coffee out of a coffee pot comes out of a Siphon brewer. They are fun to watch. The coffee goes in the top. The water in the bottom. When the water starts to boil it boils up into the top than slowly is infused through the coffee and drips back through to the bottom. Only a French press might make a better cuppa.

Yama Glass 8 Cup Stovetop Coffee Siphon
EC40E7EA-B877-4A09-8830-309B65BA1051.jpeg

My absolute favorite from my childhood is the electric Cory Vacuum Brew. I remember the sound of the water boiling up into the top. They are readily available on the used market and Parts are easy to obtain. Note the glass return stop. Make sure the pot has one.

3C8B1F3E-895F-4FAD-94C3-6AB1B4025CC8.jpeg

Coffee to water ratio can make a big difference. Most department store coffee makers can not hold enough coffee to brew a proper cup if making a full pot.

One thing to check are restaurant appliance stores. Many have used equipment you can get for cheap. Always purchase Bunn they have the repair parts for all if their commercial coffee makers.

DD coffee tastes pretty good to me as well. Glad to see it getting some praise.

Growing up, my family owned 3 Dunkin' Donuts. Both my parents went to the DD classes for making their coffee.

You can buy their beans, and their cream at many local stores. The beans TBH, are nothing special, but stick with light or medium roast, the dark roast is usually too dry, so it doesn't naturally preserve itself as long. It is important to fresh grind your beans. Their cream is a bit special, since it uses real cream and sugar.

DD coffee mostly comes down to 2 things, grind consistency (too chunky will be too light, too fine will be too bitter), and water temp consistency. Both of these require equipment that's a step up from your usual. You need a conical burr grinder. The cheap ones will not grind consistently, but will have chunky pieces mixed with fine powder. DD uses commercial BUNN machines hooked up to water lines. You can buy residential BUNN machines from walmart for around $100-150. The main difference is these things store water, and use a thermostat to maintain water temp, like a hot water heart in your house. A normal coffee maker heats the water as it brews, so the actual water temp varies depending on what temp your water started out at.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...-coffee-maker-with-2-warmers-120v/177C10.html

This is what I use. I have had it 7 years now. I got rid of my Bunn to get this. The main reason was the Bunn has a reservoir and the water can get stale and it stays heated a long time. This does not. Only fresh water goes in and it uses only that. Plus it brews a faster cup for me. The reason for that is, I cut my Bunn off after using it. I only use my coffee makers once a day. So when I turned the Bunn on it took 10 minutes to preheat and 3 minutes to brew coffee. So thats 13 minutes from cold to hot. This one brew a pot from cold to hot in 6 minutes. Mine was $119 seven years ago. Plus for around $9 you get 1000 filters. Never had any trouble out of mine. Never had any trouble with the Bunn either. Now my parents got a Bunn that put water all over the counter. But Bunn took care of them. You can get a bad anything at anytime.

As holyman772 says. I'd get a burr mill grinder, a good scale, thermometer, a French Press coffee maker, and a good clock with a second hand, and experiment with ratio's of beans to water, (temp. and amount). Write your findings down. Once satisfied, use the ratio that works for your taste.
Once you get the bean, grind and temp nailed down, DD uses light cream in their mix - not half and half. Gives it a richer taste and texture.

I had a couple of Bunns and at least for me I thought they made a meh cup and it wasn't even hot. I lived about 50 miles from where they were made. Still didn't make the coffee better. The Cuisinart DCC-3200 is the best I've found and it's cheap. If you get one always push the 1-4 cup button no matter how much your making. Brews with hotter water.

I just bought my second Bunn last year. The old one crapped out on me after 15 years and always made great coffee. For comparison purposes, my mom has gone through about a dozen cheap Mr Coffee pots over that time. I bought her a Bunn for her birthday last year and she's in love.

Thanks for feedback.

I used the following to create Dunkin’ Donuts coffee at home:

1. Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker (the basic version)

2. Dunkin’ Donuts Medium Roast Orignal Blend ground coffee, following their recommended coffee quantity

3. single filter

4. Land O Lakes half & half

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom