Making Your Own Wood Cases...

diddlybopper

I'm gonna try this project for one of My Marantz's....Any help,tips,or hints are greatly appreciated...In particular the dimensions for a 2230 Marantz...
If you've built one how did you proceed....
Thanks

By far the easiest and best way is if you can get one to use as a model, and copy it. Beg, borrow (try not to steal!) one and then you just keep referring to it for measurements, etc... There are small triangular brace pieces inside and vent cut-outs on the top (which a perforated metal grille fits into) and such, which are much easier to duplicate if you have one to measure/trace from.

Fortunately, the 22XX series receivers are all the same size, and there are only two types of cases for them:

The most common type is designated W-22, and is a sort of "slipcase" that the receiver slides into. Screws through the bottom anchor the receiver and case together. Your 2230 uses this case, which is good (for you) as it is the more common case, so your chances of finding a model to copy are good. I would lend you one, but I live in Hong Kong, and shipping internationally is both costly and risky. Maybe someone here lives near you and has one you could measure and copy?

It is basically a rectangular box, with some reinforcing angle braces inside, and molding strips applied to the front edges. The outside is veneered to match the front modling strips, so it doesn't look like separate strips in front, at all (but it is, underneath the veneer that covers the joint on the outside). An area is cut out of the top for the ventilation grid, and there is a thin groove cut horizontally into the vertical edge of the cutaway area, into which the ventilation metal mesh slides. This secures it from moving up or down. Holes are drilled through the bottom, for attaching the feet and attaching the receiver to the case.

Just for your information, the other case is designated W-122, and is actually three separate pieces: two sides and a top. The top fits into and is held by the molded (dadoed) top inside edges of the sides. There is no wooden bottom for this "case". The case panels are held by screws through the holes that normally hold the metal case in place.

Incidentally, the listings at www.classic-audio.com usually indicates which case is appropriate for any particular model. The 2230 is shown (matching W-22 case) at: http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2230.html

diddlybopper said:
I'm gonna try this project for one of My Marantz's....Any help,tips,or hints are greatly appreciated...In particular the dimensions for a 2230 Marantz...
If you've built one how did you proceed....
Thanks

This should be a fun project. Do you have all the tools you need to do this?

Arkay has covered this well, not much to add.

I did a similar case project for a Technics SA-5570 I got that while the face/knobs were in really good shape, the vinyl covered pressboard case was a mess. I used the case from a SA-5460 for a template, so it wasn't original appearance (the 5570 is one series newer, otherwise same chassis), but still looks good. In this instance, I was able to strip out the various case parts like the grill, interior reflector, etc and simply use them in the new custom veneer over plywood case so didn't have to purchase any hardware. I was pleased with the results and it was a rewarding project. Enjoy!

This should be a fun project. Do you have all the tools you need to do this?
Yes I think so,can never have to many power tools.If I don't have it I'll add it to my Xmas wish list.....
What do you use for the air-vents?

Found an old note on Marantz W-22 cases. I think I took this off an auction listing.

Outside dimensions: 18-1/2”W X 15-1/2”D X 6-3/4”H
Inside dimensions: 17”W X 15”D X 5-1/8”H

Check before you cut anything!

Tom

Hi, Not sure if this is the right place for this question...
My husband's b-day is coming up and I would like to get him the necessary tools to build his own amp cases. I would appreciate a recommendation for a good router jig and router table.

Buzzzboy said:
Hi, Not sure if this is the right place for this question...
My husband's b-day is coming up and I would like to get him the necessary tools to build his own amp cases. I would appreciate a recommendation for a good router jig and router table.
From your post it sounds like he already owns a router, correct? One of the more inclusive woodworking stores is Rockler. They have an online presence. Link is here:http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=90

woops

Well, he kind of walked in while I was writing that... Anyways...
I am planning to get him a Bosch 1617 router, so whatever jig I get has to be compatible with that.
I also want to get him a soldering station, like with a variable temp dial and stuff. I am not so sure what that is, but I know he wants one. I saw this one on Amazon. Is it a good one?

diddlybopper: where are you located? I have a presently unused WC-22 if you want to get a good look at one.

Buzzzboy said:
I also want to get him a soldering station, like with a variable temp dial and stuff. I am not so sure what that is, but I know he wants one. I saw this one on Amazon. Is it a good one?

The soldering station looks ok. However, since there's no brand name buying tips could be difficult. the tip that comes with it is probably not what he'd want long term. I'd suggest sticking with a brand name like Weller or Ungar.

Cool

Cool, thanks for the help! I found an inexpensive Weller one on Amazon, so that should work.

Of course, now that I have a router and stuff all picked out, he has changed his mind and decided he'd rather have a drill press. :rolleyes: And here I was getting all ready to build him a router table too. Oh well, he don't know what he's missing!

Marantz wc-22

Hi I have built and sold many Marantz WC-22 cases from scratch, one of the hardest parts are the grills and the front beveled edge, which if I had to do again I would get it premade in walnut from a moulding shop and glue it on after the case is made good luck

Attachments

• DSC01476.JPG
    DSC01476.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 581
rallycat said:
Found an old note on Marantz W-22 cases. I think I took this off an auction listing.

Outside dimensions: 18-1/2”W X 15-1/2”D X 6-3/4”H
Inside dimensions: 17”W X 15”D X 5-1/8”H

Check before you cut anything!

Tom

I just measured one (sitting conveniently beside me holding my 2275 :music: as I read that post :D ) and those measurements seem slightly rounded off. My actual case's outer dimensions are more like: 18-1/2" W X 15-5/8" D X 6-1/2" H. [Sorry I can't conveniently measure the inside dimensions with two more pieces sitting atop it and everything hooked up and playing.]

The height measurement is just the case, of course, without the feet: the top sits between 7-1/8" and 7-3/16" above the table top, with feet installed.

I'd still recommend (if practical) getting ONE to use as a model to go by, so you can compare and measure for accuracy at each stage. Just makes the whole process easier. Remember the old advice to measure three times before cutting once--at a minumum! Holds true especially for costly woods and veneers.

Tomefs, your cabinet is beautiful! - better than the Marantz version I'm sure...

I am interested in doing this also. I have read that using solid hardwood is not advised due to heat possibly causing stability problems. But my plan was to first make one from cheap wood and when the "plug" or model unit is perfected, then make others from nice wood or nice veneer.

But I wonder if anyone has a good source for the metal grid for the vent?

My ultimate goal is to make one for each of my receivers and another for the amp, which is of different measurements, unfortunately.

I remember a variety/electronics store around here went out of business in the late 70's, and they had literally stacks of those walnut Marantz cabinets- they couldn't give 'em away! and no, I didnt buy one either :tears:

The metal used for the grills I purchased in a 4x10 sheet, but you may find a small piece at a sheet meatl shop,

Solid wood case for tuner

My brother-in-law made this solid cherry case for my Sony tuner. Note that the tuner only draws 25 watts so little need for ventilation grills.

It should darken to a reddish brown with age.

I was surprised by the joint detailing but it sure works!

Attachments

• Sony rabbeting 800.jpg
    Sony rabbeting 800.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 479
Your BIL did a nice job. One of the possible issues with solid wood against particle board is a proneness to warping. Particle board has no grain direction, so is a nice neutral substance for building around items that can generate heat. I have a friend who builds solid cabinets for vintage receivers, based in Indy, at around $100 a piece. Great work, but the issue is what they will look like in a year or two's time. Bracing can become critical with solid woods, and choosing well seasoned wood, which is not cheap.
Advantage is that a scratch can be rubbed down without fear of going through the veneer (which I did on an old Pioneer 9191 tape deck :( a few months ago.

I agree this project sounds excellent and would be interested to see the results. AK'er LBPete has a nice Sansui 9090 listed on ePay with a Honduran Mahogany case (veneered). Looks fantastic but out of my price range.

Sharp cutting tools and an attention to detail are key, but let's face it, practice makes perfect. Good luck to you diddlybopper. It would be cool to show the project in stages. I can't even see my workbench for all the crap piled on it...hope you're better organized than I am. A workshop like Norm Abrams would be just the ticket! :)

I would NOT advocate a solid wood case for a component that has heavy current draw like a receiver or amplifier. A tuner or DAC might be OK.

My tuner draws 25 watts and most of that goes to the dial lamps next to the big front metal panel that acts as a heat sink.

Back
Top Bottom