Man Donates 21,000 LPs to charity

"Paul McCartney’s “Flowers in the Dirt,” released in 1989, could garner $40"

I could only get $10 for my mint copy w/ all the inserts sold here on AK

Andy Williams, Don Ho, Percy Faith and most of that stuff looks like typical Goodwill offerings but I commend him for letting them try to make some money off his collection. I imagine whatever is left will hit the landfill or maybe a local auction house. I bet there is very little in desirable titles, maybe 5%. I bought that many records in Hartford 8 years ago for $150. 2 F-350 Ford pickup loads stacked over the rails and strapped. Sold maybe $300 worth at the fleamarket, kept maybe 5 records and donated the rest to the Salvation Army after letting friends take what they wanted

Hawkeye, if you go, let us know if there was any good stuff (conditionwise)

Yeah, it's a tough call. Could end up being just a bunch of crap. I wouldn't normally take the day off JUST for this, but:

1) I need to take my car up to Madison anyway to get some recall work done (I'm 2 hours away)
2) I need to drop some speakers off in the Madison area that I sold to an AK'er.
3) Good excuse to stop at the New Glarus brewery for some beer.
4) I'm a sucker for cheap records - although now that my vinyl rig is a little better, man, I pretty much just want good copies of everything! (Funny how hearing vinyl through Quads and tubes will make things sound so much better) But as long as it plays cleanly, I don't care if it's "desirable" or "valuable"...I'll take a clean copy of a Lynyrd Skynyrd or Led Zeppelin or Beatles or Clapton...whatever...all day. My record collection is not that big where I will turn my nose up at "common" copies...just want good "player copies."

Will let you all know how it went if I end up going!

EDIT - nevermind, can't get the day off work.

Last edited:
Its new owner hopes to reduce it to next to nothing in a few days.

Few days?

This guy ever heard of cherry picking? The really good stuff will be gone in a few days and then he will have to figure out what to do with the rest.

Last edited:
I laughed when I read that line about hoping it would be gone in a few days. Perhaps 10% of it. In the end, thousands of these will end up in the landfill.

McCartney Flowers in the Dirt is your centerpiece?

Don Ho. Percy Faith. Donny Osmond. Tony Orlando and Dawn. The guy picked out an Andy Williams for a photo-op?

not encouraging...

Unless the reporter overlooked the actual good stuff...

It's just stuff that was picked up cheap wherever and however they could be got.
Not a collection but a conglomeration.
Not saying there wouldn't be some good stuff in there but a mountain of work to find it

If I can awaken early enough, I may drop by the East side location just to see what it's all about. It's practically in my neighborhood....
KJR

Idiots.....
$10 for "The Joker"? The author has no freaking clue. I bet those Streisands and Tijuana Brass LPs are another gold mine. It's one thing to be ignorant, it's another thing to broadcadt it in print.

Good luck with 21,000 Andy Williams LPs....

Anyone that goes ... I would love to see some pics!

It's going to be like panning for gold but what a great way to burn a few hours.

there was a record store in seattle, the owner was a full on hoarder. He had 20 copies of every record you could think of , none worth buying. When it was time for him to move shop he had a basement sale after sale after sale... out of 140,000 records I found one record worth buying.

He then donated over 100,000 records to local thrift shops. It was like a disease infected the entire thrift store industry in the north west, every store had 30 roached out copies of "the first family". If you think you are gonna find any gems in the stack forget it, my guess is a sh!t load of sing along with mitch and firestone christmas albums.

there was a record store in seattle, the owner was a full on hoarder. He had 20 copies of every record you could think of , none worth buying. When it was time for him to move shop he had a basement sale after sale after sale... out of 140,000 records I found one record worth buying.

He then donated over 100,000 records to local thrift shops. It was like a disease infected the entire thrift store industry in the north west, every store had 30 roached out copies of "the first family". If you think you are gonna find any gems in the stack forget it, my guess is a sh!t load of sing along with mitch and firestone christmas albums.

How long did it take you to go through 140,000 records?

How long did it take you to go through 140,000 records?

I went through 50,000+ in about an two and a half hours in Tolland at a barnsale. Almost all were sealed so it saved time. They were in stacks on a long shelf in the loft of a building so it was grab a stack of 200 or so down, flip like mad then put it back and grab another stack

Rinse and repeat while watching the wife tap her foot

Back
Top Bottom