Man vs. Beast: CA-2010 restoration project

I have shattered many of the basic brown ones. Does not take much side stress to blow them apart. But good for small hard to get spots. Sometimes best tool for fixing some issues. About the only one that will get in there. Make sure you have a canister with a number in it. You really have to have finesse with them.

I use the carbide ones a lot. Sometimes the disk is better for certain cuts than the carbide so good to have both.

yes. i gotta apologize, im being very impatient with this and definitely did not mean to be rude. i probably should box it up until christmas break as my fall classes are about to start and i have spent every waking hour in the last week on this and i just cant keep it up. i am planning on going over every wiring and every solder joing again today and tomorrow, and if i not getting anywhere then the responsible thing will be to just box it up and get on with work as my wife is also losing patience with the mess and the fact that i am not doing anything but work on this as soon as i get home from work.

I often get to work on a project in bursts so it can take a few months on a problem child. Sometimes get it functional then later notice some other issues go back in and make some more updates. A recap on a simple flat board layout like the low power Technics SA-5170 only took a few days. Not many are like that. Finding bad components not easily identified, bad traces, and particularly bad solder joints extend the time required. And then there are cosmetics and lighting changes may be simple or more complicated especially when modifications required for LEDs or putting LEDs in place of unobtanium.

In the SM there is only one bridged rectifier D401

but in my amp there is 2 of them. what is that about?

aSvSqY7.jpg

Last edited:
think they forgot to add to the drawing . or thought it was obvious and showed the connections instead . schematics and what is in front of you is where it is at for me .

D401 and 416 Both are the same. 1D4B1

Last edited:
Looks to me like you board has two of them, at the end of the two 1A fuses next to the 0.5A fuse. They don't show the second one on the board layout but you can see where it is supposed to be with the trace mapping.

Looks to me like you board has two of them, at the end of the two 1A fuses next to the 0.5A fuse. They don't show the second one on the board layout but you can see where it is supposed to be with the trace mapping.
i tried to say that ..

In the SM there is only one bridged rectifier D401
3xiwzN0.png

but in my amp there is 2 of them. what is that about?

aSvSqY7.jpg
Note the part number of the board in the manuals diagram HK-7V-0 and the part number of the actual board HK-7V-1..

Based on the poor SM copy I am looking at looks like a 1D4B1. Lists there should be two of them D401 and D416.

You may need to fabricate a replacement bridge using four diodes, such as 4x1N4007 (or lower in the line rated 400V or more) if either are bad. Should be able to diode check each leg for proper function. NTE claims to have an equivalent in the NTE5304.

Being rated 1.5A may need a higher current diode. I believe that the 1N4001-4007 series is rated at 1A.

ok great. thanks for helping me understand. these answers have been very helpful to me because they have helped (since i started working on these projects) to begin to understand how the thing in front of me works and how i should go about troubleshooting. it also helps me understand the schematic. these discrepancies confuse me a lot.

///////////

i have no season to think that any of the two is malfunctioning but i also dont know how to test them either. as i said in the last page, i found two transistors completely fried. TR414 and TR415. i am waiting for the replacement to come in and i guess that i will go from there. but right now if there is any other components that i should check out (something that ya'll think would be a good ides to look into) please let me know because this ordering one by one and then looking for another problem is very slow and inefficient.

///////////

from the advice/tips that ive gotten so far, the dim bulb tester is the only one that I am yet to make. ill get to that this weekend.

Also note a bridged rectifier has 2 AC connections as well as a positive and negative DC connection. That being said. There is only one correct installation and 3 possible wrong installations. Check your pin out .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom