Manley Stingray

Any thoughts about a Manley stingray with my Altec Valencia? Not know anything about tubes how does this compare to the Moth 45? Are they different types? one sound better?
I may have a trade.

Think about it, you can buy a Stingray anytime you want, how many of those Moth 45 amps are for sale? You'll never get one again, not to mention you haven't even worked with it yet really.

I bet the guy with the stingray will wait for you since he'll never find one anyway.

Think about it, you can buy a Stingray anytime you want, how many of those Moth 45 amps are for sale? You'll never get one again, not to mention you haven't even worked with it yet really.

For the 1.5K clams, I betcha he can find something (SET) better than the Moth! I don't see special value in the Moth. Even less value in my opinions for the Stingray!

Mega, it is custom to provide three or four examples to buttress your claim, and for others to figure out where you are coming from. You have the floor.

Ok it helps the vid for sound quality if you mic is at the seating position. A kind critique, I'm not feeling air and space in your vid and nothing in the low frequencies.You have lots of nice gear but I think you maybe need to slow down the buying and work more at setting it up and the room better. The wall your on probably only will fit one pair of speakers to space them wider apart and get better imaging.

While my system is quite different than yours have a listen, it's also a fairly small room.

Tubes > VAC Vintage High Power Mk II Monophonic Power Amplifier, the ones on the floor 100 watt mono blocks.
Speakers> Monitor Audio MA3 Mk II, laying on their sided.
Sumiko Blackbird cartridge HO, Staged though a SOTA Phono Head Amp and then to the McIntosh Phono stage.
There is no sub in the system in these vids...
Since you like a little funky jazz sound, sorry this one doesn't show the amps or speakers much.

Same gear, short clip of Nat

Full song Sarah Mclachlan possession piano version

Nice very nice!

I'll be getting the String Ray on Friday. I could use some help on setting up my room. as for the moth it just my have to stay. It sounds to good with the altac''s as for the Krell the Ampzilla blows it away you can tell what system was inspired by Audiokarma and Audiogon. AK's do it right.

The more I use the Moth I can't see me dumping it. I like to find a single driver speaker like a tannoy style, I think a Totem might work.

I'll be getting the String Ray on Friday. I could use some help on setting up my room. as for the moth it just my have to stay. It sounds to good with the altac''s as for the Krell the Ampzilla blows it away you can tell what system was inspired by Audiokarma and Audiogon. AK's do it right.

The more I use the Moth I can't see me dumping it. I like to find a single driver speaker like a tannoy style, I think a Totem might work.
I like lots of power amps also and the way I have my system the preamp can switch between amp/speaker combos depending on mood and music. After a while the amps and speakers kinda match up together and become a set.

I bet the guy with the stingray will wait for you since he'll never find one anyway.
I know you right on this one, I put the moth on eBay for a day at a very high price and had 18 watchers and countless emails. If I get rid of it there's not another one.

I like lots of power amps also and the way I have my system the preamp can switch between amp/speaker combos depending on mood and music. After a while the amps and speakers kinda match up together and become a set.
I think I'm going to do this with my Ampzilla preamp.

Mega, it is custom to provide three or four examples to buttress your claim, and for others to figure out where you are coming from. You have the floor.

45 / 2A3 /300B SET are a plenty and naming one would means I value one over the other. So, I will just generalize. Moth was one of the name in the game when there are a host of others such as ASL, JE Labs, Wavelength, Welborne, Bottlehead, Triode, Yamamoto and a few others I missed to recall. And it's no understatement I've owned and sold several commercial offerings of stated name brands. But I've always preferred the ones with a good potted Tango in it. There was a guy on big auction site selling Japanese version of 2A3 or 45 or 300B for around 1.5K clams or less. Sadly, he seems gone now!

Last edited:

The classic Tannoys are also coaxials -- they use the woofer cone as the treble driver's horn flare.

This is a Tannoy Devon, with a 12" Tannoy coax, e.g.

DSC_7129 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

016 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
005 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The treble driver fires through that gauzy :) dustcap on the bass driver.

N.B. This (these) Tannoy(s) are not mine; they belong to another New England AKer who kindly lent them to me for a test drive some time back.

My only concern about keeping the moth is not having a schematic and all the mods on it. what if it needs repair? even the designer Craig said WOW when I sent him a photo.

Truthfully, any competent Tech can fix something like this with one eye closed! Nothing to worry about! More than likely, it won't need repairs for a long time! All you need is simple tube bias check and tube replacement along the way. SET are simple and reliable once you get it working right the way it should.

Wow, can mean anything, and vary depending on the person exclaiming it.

Wow! that's a mess!
Wow! that's dangerous!
Wow! that's friggin so cool!
Wow! That's so awesome I want one!

A SE 45 amplifier ought to be simple enough for even a schlub like me to troubleshoot and repair. If it's not (i.e., if it's been modified with, I dunno, a complicated, regulated power supply, active loads for the voltage amplfiers, and I dunno what else), it probably is best avoided.

Most SE DHT amplifiers will have maybe a dozen parts per channel from the RCA jack to the speaker taps, and could well have less.
Simplicity is both the hallmark of these components and key to their acoustic magic (I'd opine).

Simple 2A3 after the fire 08Jun17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(The yellow oval in the photo above indicates a borked cathode bypass cap, as it happens :) It's just a photo I had handy, OK? ;))

Wow was for I cant believe someone would do it.
Thanks, theoman :cool: I was wondering in what context it was :)

Can differ between tech's maybe. Another could think "Nice, this guy knows his stuff" Not all tech's agree on things.

Without knowing what exactly inspired this "wow" I guess the important thing is whether you like the amp or not :thumbsup:

A SE 45 amplifier ought to be simple enough for even a schlub like me to troubleshoot and repair. If it's not (i.e., if it's been modified with, I dunno, a complicated, regulated power supply, active loads for the voltage amplfiers, and I dunno what else), it probably is best avoided.

Most SE DHT amplifiers will have maybe a dozen parts per channel from the RCA jack to the speaker taps, and could well have less.
Simplicity is both the hallmark of these components and key to their acoustic magic (I'd opine).

Simple 2A3 after the fire 08Jun17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(The yellow oval in the photo above indicates a borked cathode bypass cap, as it happens :) It's just a photo I had handy, OK? ;))
Nice clean install!

Back
Top Bottom