Marance shock?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Inmatejason, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Inmatejason

Inmatejason New Member

hello
    I just bought a marantz 2238 and I seem to get a static shock a lot of times when I first touch it, I could be turning it off or adjusting the volume it doesn’t matter. After the first static shock it doesn’t do it anymorethough, Should I be worried? Could this cause damage? I’m thinking it could be coming from the swade material on my iPad case. Any ideas or suggestions, I’m getting scared to touch this receiver lol
    My condo is extremely dry so I know that’s making it wors, I guess I just want to make sure it’s not damaging my new stereo.

Thanks for your time

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ConradH

ConradH Addicted Member

Low humidity. Raise humidity or wait for spring and the problem will go away. As long as your touching the chassis or a knob to discharge yourself, there's little risk, but if you touched an antenna terminal (or the antenna) you could do some damage. These things are generally robust and resistant to ESD (electrostatic discharge) but it's still best to avoid it. One solution is a metal plate (maybe grounded, but not really necessary) nearby that you can touch first to kill the static before touching anything else. Those discharges aren't good for computers and other electronics either.

3. prabie

prabie Member

Sounds like static discharge, try using leather sole shoes. It worked for me.

4. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Its been really dry here. I have to touch the metal stand before touching the gear . To discharge the static. Sometimes there is a pretty loud "snap" and a cute little spark.:biggrin: I guess you could always get and ESD wrist band.:biggrin:

5. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

6. Inmatejason

Inmatejason New Member

Thanks for the replies, I have started touching the kitchen tap to get rid of the static and seems to help. I was worried I was damaging the stereo or speakers because I would hear the static pop sound through the speakers as well. Thanks again and thanks for the link.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Sounds like a humidifier should be a strong consideration. Too dry isn't good for many things.

musichal likes this.