Marantz 1060 blowing 3amp mains fuse.

Whitebear15

This is a strange fault, I switched my 1060 on this morning and there was a flash and a bang, the plug 3amp fuse, had blown.
Now heres the strange thing, I know that the amp will work ok when I change the mains fuse, its done this before but always worked after.
The bang and spark comes from the right hand side near the remote speaker switch, it might not happen for months and suddely it does it again, Im baffled :( have any AK members come across this before? Regards Rob.

Update: Well been reading lots of postings on 1060s blowing fuses, and begining to suspect the bridge rectifier could be the fault, I did a full recap last year and its only happened since that.
Im going to check the filter cap to see if I replaced it with a bigger capacitance, cant remember now, but that could be the suspect. Checked my filter capp replacment and its 10,000uf 80volt, so could this cause my problem? Regards Rob

Last edited:
"A bang and a flash" ,fuse blows ,you replace it and then it's ok again......for awhile?
Something is wrong ,maybe power switch is arcing or a line voltage wire is shorting out .
With a bang and a flash you should see a burn mark,black mark or some sign of what's going on .

Bob

^^^^ Yes to this!

I also recommend double checking that it's wired properly for the mains voltage. For 220 and 240 operation a 1.5 amp fuse is specified.
upload_2018-4-16_9-14-52.png

^^^^ Yes to this!

I also recommend double checking that it's wired properly for the mains voltage. For 220 and 240 operation a 1.5 amp fuse is specified.
View attachment 1164768
Thanks for the diagram, my 1060 doesan't match any of the pictures shown, Ive attached a picture of my voltage selector. Bit reluctant to change it, but perhaps thats whats wrong, the amp does work and it only blows a fuse now and then.
Think my 1060 is on 220volt our mains voltage here in the UK is 240volt, so will have a go at changing it. Report back later with good news hopefully ;)

Attachments

• 20180416_172654.jpg
    20180416_172654.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
^^^^ Yes to this!

View attachment 1164768
Well changed the wires round to 240volts, was shaking when switching the amp on, good news is it just came on.
Ive noticed that the volume button has to be turned up higher than usual but thats no problem.
Time will tell if it was the mains voltage to blame. Many Thanks Rob

Last edited:
I have 2 1060s and the one that was blowing the fuse never did sound right, it lacked base.
Well since I changed the input voltage from 220vots to 240volts, the sound has greatly improved. Well chuffed, cant belive the differance in the sound. Many thanks Rob :rflmao:

I think the transformer tap being changed won't fix the spark\bang symptom.

I agree with Bob above, there should bear scat in that thar back yard (black marks, scorching, burnt looking things).

Heh, the bonus of this arcing problem is that you posted and quickly improved the sound of this unit, without much effort. That's a win right there.

I think the transformer tap being changed won't fix the spark\bang symptom.

I agree with Bob above, there should bear scat in that thar back yard (black marks, scorching, burnt looking things).

Heh, the bonus of this arcing problem is that you posted and quickly improved the sound of this unit, without much effort. That's a win right there.
The improvement in the sound is not what I set out to achieve, but what a bonus, I agree with you, dont think it will have got rid of the fuse blowing, but it does feel differant when I hit the on button, not surgeing as much. But its going to take a long time before I will know if problem has been cured. :music:

Back
Top Bottom