Marantz 1060 Caps type.

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Whitebear15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Whitebear15

Whitebear15 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Im boggeyed reading all the forums for information on which type of caps to use for the power board on my 1060.
    Simple question, are Elna Silmic II Electrolytic Capacitors ok to use on the power board?

Information for above capps says, to use for audio circuit.

Spent days looking for the right cap sizes to fit the the power board.
    Cheers
    Rob

2. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

In this case, yes, without hesitation for me. That is what I have used in the lower power Marantz amps and receivers.
    In the (much) higher power units that run hot I would use 105°C rated caps.
    And the Silmic II usually are the same size as the originals which is nice.

In fact I use Elna Silmic II pretty much exclusively in restoring vintage receivers / amps, except as mentioned in real hot-running units.

Here is my 1060 rebuild for inspiration :)
    If I were to do it today, I would use the big Nichicon LKG caps (and not the Mundorfs) for the main filter and the output capacitors.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Homer4beer and Whitebear15 like this.
  3. Whitebear15

Thanks for your reply, Dont think I explained what I was getting at, what I should have said was, are the caps ok to use on the Power Supply board? Im sure they are fine on all the other circuit boards. Sorry if I sound thick, but new to all this. Its my first attemp at renewing capps on a circuit board.

4. Leestereo

Leestereo Super Member

Homer4beer and Whitebear15 like this.
  5. mbz

mbz AK Subscriber Subscriber

In my earlier days I used Silmic II's and KZ's in the power supplies, however after recently opening up a NAD3140 I was somewhat
    surprised at what looked like early signs of stress on some of these caps. I've changed them out for Nichicon PW. I still use the
    Silmic II's and KZ in the audio path and for local storage on the power rails. I would use PW's or something similiar on the PS board.

Whitebear15 likes this.
  6. Whitebear15

Great advice from you Guys, Its realy hard here in the UK to find the right cap sizes and values, spent hours on the web looking for the right caps for the power supply board. I can only find Silmic lls that fit. but I will keep looking.
    My 1060s both sound fine, one just makes a annoying strange high pitched squeeking noise when first switched on, Im Hoping a power board recap will cure that.

Thanks Rob

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

There is really no need to stay with the same physical size of caps, apart from the looks of course, but that is mainly with the 3 big caps here...
    As you mention, the Silmic II are big, also I think but I'm not sure, the Nichicon Muse (UKZ series) is bigger than most modern caps.

8. mbz

mbz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd be inclined to follow the rebuild/restoration links in posts 2&4 for general guidance, unless of course you have a particular sound you are after.
    Download the cap datasheets, (Google elna silmic pdf or nichicon kz or,,,) the sizes are included. modern caps are smaller.

Suggest you do a bit more troubleshooting on that high pitched sqeal.
    Is it on both channels?
    maybe use one 1060 as a pre and the other as a power amp to try and locate problem as in pre or power stages
    Is the squeal immediately after the protection relay engagues?
    Are you comfortable taking voltage measurements on a live unit? be interesting to see what the power rails are doing during the squesl.

9. Whitebear15

Planned my day today then this happened, Can it get any worse? switched my other 1060 on this morning and the thing went with a bang and blew the mains plug 5amp fuse, Ive not touch this 1060 at all, it was recapped by Wilkingsons Audio, Nelson in Lancashire UK about a month ago. Decided to remove the amp top and take alook, couldnt see anything wrong, all the inside fuses tested ok. Decided to replace the mains fuse with 3amp value, just incase it blew again. Pressed the switch and it just came on, Im baffled, but glad. Its been playing now for over a hour, so I have no idea what was wrong. Anyway will take a look at the other 1060 tomorrow to try and find out whats causing the high pitch sound on switch on. Rob

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  10. CohibaJoe

CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here is what I used in 1 of the my 3 1060's...Yes there are a number of rebuilds.

Marantz1060.jpg

And another 1...Can you SEE what is in common?

Marantz1060v2.jpg

Whitebear15 likes this.
  11. Whitebear15

Wish my 1060s looked as clean as yours, nice job

12. Whitebear15

Power board caps arrived today, the old caps looked ok untill I removed them.
    My 1060 is up and running now, sounds much better, the highs are more precise and the base is cleaner. Well pleased, like to thank all you folks on AK for all your help. Cheers Rob

View attachment 1004763 View attachment 1004763 20170914_160021.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  13. AnalogueBen

AnalogueBen New Member

Hi Whitebear15,
    Just wondering what caps you chose here for the p/s board? I'm gathering info myself for a recap.
    Ta.

Whitebear15 likes this.
  14. Whitebear15

15. AnalogueBen

AnalogueBen New Member

Thanks for the welcoming! I look forward to seeing how feel about the sound when the amp is complete.
    Ben