marantz 1060 find.

Dearslayer

Been reading lots of threads on the Marantz 1060 lately ( no particular reason because it’s one unit I don’t have ) but I go on the local buy and sell site yesterday and I see a 1060 in the wood case for sale. There were only 2 pictures posted and a comment regarding the fact that he couldn’t load the picture of the front of the unit for some reason and that it was the best picture. Anyway I emailed him and he didn’t get back to me till yesterday evening saying the unit was at his friends store not far from me. I thought it a little suspicious so I called the store. Low and behold its actually there. I asked the guy to hold it for me until this morning when they opened at 10am and he said no problem. Sure enough he had it on a shelf with a tag with my name on it. They were asking $279.00 for it and we agreed on $250.00. They are a retail buy and sell store much like a pawn shop. I happened to have an old roofing stapler in the back of my truck and they gave me $30.00 for it so I walked away with the 1060 for $220.00. The unit looks all original as far as I can tell and all functions work with the exception of the ‘ Loudness button “. It may just need some Deoxit. Never had much time to go over it before I had to leave for work. It will have to sit on the shelf for now till I get around to it. The wood case has a few battle scars but not real bad overall and the unit itself is in great shape aside from needing a cleaning. Question though…. It has what appears to be a half steel cover toward the front with the back half of the unit open. Did it come from the factory as such, or is the back half half just missing??

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 115
Someone cut that steel cover to help ventilate the heat sinks I guess. The factory metal cases go all the way back. At least you got the wood case. The wood case was an add on, but they all came with metal cases. You'll often find metal cases inside of wooden cases, but that one was modified. Some amps will hum if you remove metal panels and cases, so that's another reason they're left on under a wood case. Loved my 1060 and regret selling it, but had to make some space. My loudness switch along with a couple others needed a few good cleanings before they stopped giving me issues. Easy to work on too.

No, that steel case was not modified. It is a half case as supplied by Marantz for use with the wooden sleeve. They are rarely seen, but totally original.
Never seen one before! I thought the cut line looked really well done. Nice score!

Ok so I understand correctly....it's split in two pieces and the rear is missing ....or it only came with the half front piece? Yea it's diffidently not a hand cut edge. It's a factory edge

Learn something new here every day. Yeah I was wondering how they cut it so cleanly.

Its to allow better ventilation with the cabinet on, sure looks factory. Some can be found with no metal cover, just the wood cabinet. Some dealers probably removed the metal cover if wood was bought. Cool find though.

I think for the price I paid I did ok. They usually go for at least double the amount around these parts.

Ok so I understand correctly....it's split in two pieces and the rear is missing ....or it only came with the half front piece? Yea it's diffidently not a hand cut edge. It's a factory edge

No, there never was another half. I assume the partial metal cover (vs. no metal cover at all) was deemed necessary for shielding the front end?

I picked one up recently that also has the wood case and half-metal cover. It's the international version with the terminal block for voltage selection and the fuse block over the power supply board. I wonder if the half metal cover was more common in units sold in Canada?

IMG_6750.jpg

Last edited:
I can't say for sure if that's the case but this is the first 1060 I've seen around here with the half metal cover. All I've seen here on the buy and sell sites have the full cover. That's why I was surprised when I removed it from the cabinet. I was just looking at another one on the buy and sell site and the asking price is $500 with the cabinet and in its original condition.

I'm glad the 1060 has assumed the mantle from the NAD 3020, as the go-to, vintage, bang for your buck integrated. It's a class act in every way.

If AK members raving about it is to blame, well, so be it. :)

I'm glad the 1060 has assumed the mantle from the NAD 3020, as the go-to, vintage, bucks for your bang integrated. It's a class act in every way.

If AK members raving about it is to blame, well, so be it. :)

FIFY. Nothing wrong with that folks can spend money anyway they want but for 5 bills there are other worthy units out there to consider, too.

This one, with the cabinet, was well bought in today's environment.

Last edited:
Congratulations ! The 1060 is a great little amp, especially nice with the wooden case.
Mine is in rotation right now, but no wood case for me...
Never saw a half-cover like yours either !

The half metal case is factory. I have had two separate 1060's that had the half case when I pulled off the wood sleeve. I think I still have one of the half metal cases lying around somewhere, I put a full metal jacket on it.

I like the half metal case. I would put that in the list of things this one does better than the others. In the 1030 I had, there were supports from the back to the front up top which many units don't have and it had a metal cover over the phono stage. Little things that can get lost on later production for cost cutting or whatever reason.

I like the half metal case. I would put that in the list of things this one does better than the others. In the 1030 I had, there were supports from the back to the front up top which many units don't have and it had a metal cover over the phono stage. Little things that can get lost on later production for cost cutting or whatever reason.
My 1030 had a shield for the phono, but on both my 1060's. The mounting hole was there on both 1060's though.

Back
Top Bottom