Marantz 1060 Phono Stage Crackle

mhaze

Symptoms:
  • Crackle/static in phono stage only.
  • Impairs and is 'attached' to the music (ie. not separate from it like a detached hum)
  • Changes likewise with changes in volume
  • Replaced stylus recently for other reasons and issue still persists (I guess the issue could still be in the turntable)
  • Switching table/amp to its own power source (it was on shared strip before) did not help

Anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be or ways to get rid of it?

Hmm thanks for the response Bob. Whats that kind of repair look like? (I know very little about electronics repair).

welcome to AK.
try running through aux. or a tape input. Look like? phono board repair. if no joy look at phono pre's.
is it worth cost? go figure. :D

Usually part of a full restoration but you could just solder in some new SC1815 transistors in place of the SC458's.
I also renew any SC1344 transistors I find also because they too have been known to go noisy.

Bob

welcome to AK.
try running through aux. or a tape input. Look like? phono board repair. if no joy look at phono pre's.
is it worth cost? go figure. :D

Will a turntable work through AUX or TAPE inputs? I thought the power levels were different with PHONO.

Usually part of a full restoration but you could just solder in some new SC1815 transistors in place of the SC458's.
I also renew any SC1344 transistors I find also because they too have been known to go noisy.

Bob
So its really just a matter of replacing the transistor - which requires soldering? Sounds simple, but unfortunately I dont have a soldering iron.

Assuming it is the phono board transistors (very likely...my 1060 had a bit of the same problem), you have two choices:

1. Have the phono board updated. If it is in the shop anyway, the cost of replacing all suspicious transistors on it plus all the electrolytic caps - vs just the 2SC458s - would not be much more. Cost is highly variable, depending upon where you live. Post your location...perhaps a local AK member with the right skills would offer to do it for you at a reasonable price.
  2. Get a separate phono amp (decent ones can be had for not much more than $50, or consider used and get a better one for same or a bit more), and "bypass" the phono section (plug it into aux or tape in or tuner in).
Either way, I think you can get it resolved for not much more than $100, if that. The upside to taking it to a skilled tech is that in the case it is not as simple as noisy transistors on the phono board, he/she can also diagnose and repair the underlying problem, check the amp adjustments, clean the pots and switches, etc.

Last edited:
You can get an outboard phono preamp and run it through the aux or tuner inputs.
That might be a easier way for you to go.

Bob

If you aren't familiar or experienced with electronics, have someone else do the work or grab an external phono preamp. You can use it on the tape inputs if you're already using the aux and tuner inputs.

Just one more point - aren't 1060s known for a very good phono section? Mine sounds really great, in my opinion anyway!
Maybe worth fixing for that reason too.
Good luck!
Capture5.JPG

Back
Top Bottom