Marantz 1060 Volume Control Position

Meaudio1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was lucky to pick up a Marantz 1060 and a Marantz 105 Tuner off Craigslist today. Just connected amp and sounds beautiful but one thing I am uncomfortable with. It seems that I have to have the volume control knob much higher to get the desired volume. I am comparing to my H/K 401 which achieved the same volume at a lower position setting. It seems that 2'clock on the Marantz equals 11 p'clock on the H/K. The unit seems to go plenty loud enough howver through my Dynaco A-25's. After the 2 O'clock postion, the volume gets much louder and the control is smooth.(I did check to make sure that the knob is in the corect postion).It is just the gain position of the 1060's volume knob that I find perplexing. Perhaps this is normal for this amp? Otherwise this unit sounds glorious. Any clarification appreciated.

I don't really think that you can take two different combinations of components like this without it being an apples-to-oranges comparison.

A line-level input is a line-level input, but to the best of my knowledge there really isn't a rigid standard for the specifications. You might be experiencing more of an impedance mismatch in one instance than in another, and that additional push of the volume is needed to overcome the input signal loss.

You may be able to modify the input of the 1060 to be a better match to the tuner and have its performance loudness-wise more similarly match the H-K. I've read where some people are doing this for turntables, altering something like the input resistance of a receiver's phono input to better match the particular cartridge they're using.

Perhaps the volume controls have a different taper so the change in their position produces a different level of loudness. I am not familiar with your H/K401 isn't is a 20 watt per channel amplifier?

Marantz 1060 Amp Volume Attenuation

Thanks to all for their responses. It is just the audio out of my Mac Computer(iTunes)that causes the 1060 to have low volume attenuation. Other sources are normal. I can compensate for this by increasing my computer's output level. Being that The H/K A-401 is only 20 watts/channel, I was rather perplexed by the fact that it had much more gain from my computer than the 1060. All things being what they are, this 1060 is glorious through the Dynaco A-25's.

I have a 1060 working with a DVD player as an audio source in my basement system.
It is temporarilly hooked up to my Big Klipsch KLF20 tower speakers. The 1060 handles them fine and never gets past 10 oclock volume control setting, in fact I am constantly lowering it. My 1060 I recapped and adjusted
thats it
Enjoy it
Check all your wiring

Also Maybe someone had removed the volume control and re-installed it in the wrong position giving ou a false indication. Check to see that the Knobs line is at 0 when the control is at 0

It is temporarilly hooked up to my Big Klipsch KLF20 tower speakers. The 1060 handles them fine and never gets past 10 oclock volume control setting, in fact I am constantly lowering it. My 1060 I recapped and adjusted

I believe those speakers are 100db sensitivity though so 10 watts would drive them pretty loud. I have had a couple of Marantz 1060's and yes the volume control IS a much different taper than any other unit l have had except early Sony's.

Back
Top Bottom