Marantz 1060 vs 1060b vs 1090

OBheringer

Hello, this is my first post. I'm looking into getting a vintage stereo system going for my living room. I've done a lot of lurking and searching over the past couple days and I've pretty much figured out what I want to start with: a Marantz 1090, 1060, or 1060b. Ideally the 1090, because it has a few more watts and I assume it's tonal qualities are similar tot hat of the 1060(b). If I can't find one of those soon (I'm impulsive), I'll grab a 1060 or 1060b. Aside from the midrange control, is there much difference between the two? Does once sound better than the other?

Regardless of what I end up with, they will be pushing a pair of 3-way Technics cabs with 12s on the bottom.

Thanks for the advice and guidance!
Adam

Welcome to AudioKarma!

I'd take a 1060 over the B model for sure. The earlier 1060 has superior build quality, with independent boards for the preamp and phono sections. It also has separate coupling caps and filter. The heatsink for the output transistors is much larger on the 1060.

Looking at the 1060B, I wouldn't even consider it. One large board with all the sections crammed on it. Smallish transformer, it isn't even close to as well constructed as the 1060.

The 1090 appears to be closely related to the 1060B. I haven't seen/heard a 1090, so I can't say much about one. Looking at a pic of the insides, it has a nice large transformer, but the filters are board mounted. I prefer chassis mounted filters, easier to replace.

I wouldn't worry much about the slight difference in power between the 1060 and the 1090. You'll need to look at 1180DC or 1200 to really hear a difference. I'd advise you to go with a 1060 from the options you posted.

One of the first "serious" pieces of stereo equipment I ever had was a Marantz 1060. One of the first "serious" mistakes I made in regard to stereo equipment was selling my Marantz 1060. I've regretted that decision for 35 years!

Go for the 1060. You will NEVER regret it. Read Jailtime's post again. He is absolutely correct.

I've owned both the 1060 and the 1060B. Jailtime is right on the money. :yes: IIRC, the 1060 also has pre out and main in jacks, which gives you more flexibility if you want to add a different preamp or a bigger power amp down the line.

I've owned both the 1060 and 1090 models, and still own two 1060s. These guys are right: go for the original 1060; it's the sweetest sounding of the three. The 1090 isn't bad, but the 1060 is a little "special". I haven't heard the 1060B, but it doesn't seem to be so promising.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. It makes the decision a lot easier when everyone's advice is unanimous :)

1060, here I come!

The lowly 1060b does not sound bad with a nice set of EPI speakers....of course you are going to pay much more for a 1060.

Picked up a 1060 about 7 years ago from a Pawn Shop in MT for a measly $25. Took it home, gave it a thorough cleaning, replaced ALL the electrolytics and have been enjoying it ever since.

It hasn't been in use for the past 2 yrs or so but I REFUSE to sell it! If you DO purchase one (1060) you will certainly love it! HOWEVER, they seem to be a bit pricey on eBay etc... Point being, there are MANY other amplifiers "out there" which perform just as well which you may be able to purchase for much cheaper! Of course, IF you DO come across a 1060 for a reasonable price, snatch it!

NB: I'm curious as to WHY you are contemplating a MARANTZ receiver (as opposed to some other brand)?????

`

`

NB: I'm curious as to WHY you are contemplating a MARANTZ receiver (as opposed to some other brand)?????

Well, because all my research has lead me to conclude that the 1060 sounds beautiful. Also, the Marantz receivers of the time are aesthetically the most pleasing.

I had a 1060 powering a pair of second generation Cornwalls. It was magic. I left it for my exwife and her (not my) baby. Despite his parentage, I wanted the kid to have decent sound in his formative years.

I found a 1060 on Craigslist a year ago. It was listed as a divorce sale. Got it for 80 bucks. Go for a 1060 without question!

Not to change the direction of this thread or anything. I'm just curious how the 1070 compares to these two amps?

Own(ed) them..

I've owned a 1090, 1152 and curently an 1180. The 1090 was my first amp, and I'd still take another. Would play loud and long, as we were wont to do back in 1979. I would not hesitate to get another.

I believe only the 1030 and 1060 are "real" Marantz units, comparable to the 20/22/23xx line. The rest of the 10xx line is something else. Something unpleasant.

Of all the vintage gear I have had (and there has been a lot), I still have one piece; the Marantz 1060. It is never leaving. Great little amp!

I've owned two 1060's. I kept one and gave the other to my son. I had a 1030 and my daughter has it now. The 1060 is a keeper for sure. I have some early SS TOTL Marantz seperates and the 1060 paired with a model 140 power amp gets more use. I wouldn't mind having a 1070 to compare though. The 1060 is Capacitor coupled and the 1070 that took its place is direct coupled.

With only 30 Watts per channel, you will need some fairly efficient speakers.

Tom

Mine sounds amazing through a pair of ESM-2’s. Not great efficiency at 86db’s. Through my Reference 22’s this amp sounds incredible. Guys at work through mine on the test bench and just started seeing clipping at 42wpc. At 40 it was amazingly clean. Mine will be buried with me.

Back
Top Bottom