Marantz 1120 Troubles

bigjimmiey

I own a Model 1120 that was working fine, set it on a shelf unplugged for 6 months, powered it on to play and noticed it got way to hot (transformer) and had a slight hum in the left channel but otherwise sounds fine on the amp portion. On the preamp side it sounds like a guitar amp with a bad cord plugged in, I mean it rips your head off. I see power supply caps have been replaced and the transformer can't last at this temp. Any ideas where to start? Bad Tranny? Best way to test?

Unplug everything from the amp . Including the speaker wires. Unplug both jumpers from the pre-amp and the amp from the RCA jacks on the back . Remember their orientation . (Vertical) . I would build a Dim Bulb Tester (DBT) Turn it on and feel if you get that heat issue .These units have blue circuit boards that have connections that connect to other boards . Does the relay make a click sound . If it does plug in the (preamp to amp jumpers)You could also tap on the unit (hit it ) to see if something changes . You could plug in some headphones to hear results .Deoxit is your friend . My guess is a corrosion issue . You will figure it out .

Yes, I have done this. This problem is above the de-oxit stage I believe. Relay clicks, unit has good sound except for low level hum. Transformer does not heat up if you unplug it's 5 outputs. No corrosion issue, it's as clean as a whistle in there.

Yes, I have done this. This problem is above the de-oxit stage I believe. Relay clicks, unit has good sound except for low level hum. Transformer does not heat up if you unplug it's 5 outputs. No corrosion issue, it's as clean as a whistle in there.
What do you mean with 5 outputs?

do you mean A & B speakers + headphones?

my 1120 overheated many years ago - issue was a shorted tweeter cap in one of my speakers.

Robin

I just picked up a 1120, hooked it up and noticed a problem. I get barely any sound out of the Phono Input, I tried 2 different turntables and same results. I turn the volume all the way up and barely any sound. Any suggestions? I plan on taking it to a tech.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom