Marantz 115 dial stringing

Strawman

Addicted Member
Well, that didn't take long, it was just hanging up a bit in a couple of spots, so I start dicking with it, now I have a bunch of string hanging inside of my new tuner. :sigh: Would anybody have a scan of the restring instructions?
I feel like a giant dumbass, not a good way to start a 3 day weekend. I'll buy a S/M if needed, just looking for a bit of help. :bash:

I'd probably start with a pm to Punker. If Echo sends his tuner work to Punker, I don't need a second reference. And not that far away, for you.

Thanks Ernie, He was the first one that came to my mind, I met him at last years fest, I figured I'd throw it out to the general population before I start blubbering for help in PM's. Man, I feel like such a dumbass!
Steve

That's ok. You're certainly not the first one to feel that way...

...TODAY! Remember, it could be worse.

So, blubber away. Don't forget to say please. :)

At this point, all I have is the pity card, denial sure as hell didn't work, I was the only one screwing around with it. Please, PunkerX, you got your ears on good buddy? :D

I had a Yamaha in here a month or two ago missing the dial string. I didn't want to fool with it, as I had memories of years before spending hours trying to figure out how to do some old Kenwood tuner string. But the owner insisted I give it my best shot, and lo and behold...I got it after a couple of tries (one of them had the dial moving the opposite way it was supposed to :) ).

Give it a shot, and if you can't get it, let Punker or dr*audio (warren) have at it.

I think I might have one of those.
It's even in a handy enough spot that I can get to it without moving 300 lbs of other stuff.
PM me your email address, and I'll go take the cabinet off of it and take a few pics.
If I send 'em to your email address, I won't have to resize them like I do if I post them here.

Sorry, don't have the 115 manual. That tuners made it rounds. Think I did the initial alignment for Grumpy, then it went to Mike, now to you.

X

Thanks guys, PM'ing you right now Gearhead! Did you do the mod to RCA jacks X?

Last edited:
Well, thanks to all for the encouragement to give it a try, and a very special thank you to Gearhead for the pics! It allowed me to make some sense of what was supposed to be going where. I had to fiddle a bit, as expected for the tension. It was originally clamped to itself with a little brass doo-dad that was crimped together. No idea where it might be. I hooked up the hemo's and was able to get a good third of the dial where it's supposed to be, back and forth several times. Not really scientific, I know, but I ended up with superglue on the string, and white glue on the 3 points for the dial pointer.
I'll wait until tomorrow to release the hemo's and hope for the best. I can hear some of you cringing from here, but it takes very little to make me happy.

Last edited:
I released the clamp, and the glue has done it's job, upon closer inspection, I saw where the binding was happening to begin with. It seems like a thin mylar or plastic tape kind of coating on the rail fuide had bubbled up in a few spots so that the pointer couldn'r travel freely enough, and the string would just spin on the gyro tuner knob. I ended up removing the plastic entirely with sandpaper, a fingernail file, and an X-acto knofe. Then I polshed up the mating surfaces with 400 grit, put a little Tri-flow with teflon on it, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll give it one more day before I put the faceplate and cover back on, but don't seee how I can do much more fore it.
It still sounds good, and is accurate enough for my cro-magnon needs. Have to give anther shout out to Gearhead for the assistance, I wouldn't be listening to it right now without his help. :thmbsp: :banana: :thmbsp:
Steve

I'm sure it does, but I don't have one. Gearhead was nice enough to take his apart and send me some pictures of what goes where.

Back
Top Bottom