Marantz 1150D Restoration (Returning a favor to a good friend)

stratmaster4

So my friend is finally taking the plunge and building a nice stereo to go with his Sennheiser HD555s. He's building a set of Magna Cum Laude speakers http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/magna/index.html and he needs an amp to power them, after he heard my 1060 he asked for me to find him something similar but with much more wattage for the larger speakers.

First thign I did was some craigslist searching because the upper level Marantz's fetch far too much on ebay. I managed to find a Marantz 1150D for 220 on craigslist and I'm going to restore it for my buddy.

Marantz 1150D with the following issues:
- For the most part works with some issues here and there
- One of the channels comes in and out (thats what the guy said)
- The guy said it could use a re-cap
- The also said that the output transistors could use replacing
- light needs to replaced with LED (I have done this on a few amps )

As far as restoring it I want to give it a full re-capping and then see how it runs after that, if there are more issues I plan to replace the output transistors. Does anybody here have a complete parts list for the recapping of this amp?

Does anybody know any other issues this amp can have or other parts I should look at?

I have plans to listen to this amp as is through out the week to see if there are anymore issues.

Not sure on common issues, but good choice on the amp. That is the one I would love as far as an integrated marantz goes.

I think at least a recap would fix those intermittent problems. If not that, I would check the transistors and variable resistors, the latter of which I honestly have no clue how to do.

I personally do not care for the led replacements, but I'm one of the only ones.... I just like the greater warmth of bulbs!

Get it to a known working condition before you do the whole hog restoration. I'd bet a Deoxit job on the controls will fix that channel. After you get it working correctly, recap it. I'd replace the relay and the diff pairs in the amp too. I think this amp is related to the 2275 receiver, so it probably uses VD1xxx diodes in the amps. Replace those as well. Single 1N4148 for VD1122, series 1N4148 for VD1212.

I ordered a big can of DeOxIT, when it arrives I'm going to give all the switches a good cleaning then take it from there.

If anyone has a parts list for doing a recap on this amp that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the responses so far.

So I did some research, actually emailed the guy who runs IrebuildMarantz.com and he instructed me to replace all the electrolytic caps with ones of the same value but twice the voltage with temperature tolerances of 105C or higher.

I sat down with my buddy and we started writing down all the caps we need to order and we found that some parts of the amp will require use to undo wire wrapping and desolder anything I should keep in mind while doing this?

There seems to be not so many electrolytic capacitors in this amp are there any other kinds that need replacing?

I'd first of all suspect the relay (intermittent signal loss). A good and very gentle cleaning of the relay can work wonders. Other cleaning of contacts, switches - pots, will be good to. Nice amp!

will require use to undo wire wrapping and desolder anything I should keep in mind while doing this?

Yes, stay organized, take lots of pictures before anything is dismantled. Take more pictures as things are taken apart, make notes with drawings. It can be very frustrating to try to remember everything and if a mistake is made during reassembly, it can take a long time to find the error.

Twice the voltage on caps is not necessary.

Very interested in your project as I also own the same integrated amp myself. Mine works fine as it is right now but I will be undertaking the same restoration when I have a bit more funds available. If you dont mind I would like to stay in touch and would be REALLY interested to know how it sounds after the recap. Good luck and let us all know how it goes.

This. You're gonna run into problems with the size of the new caps if you're stepping 50V caps up to 100V. If it makes you feel better, one step up is OK. Like 50 to 63V.

Ok then, thats why I posted here! :) Theres very little on this amp it seems so its been difficult planning this restoration.

Very interested in your project as I also own the same integrated amp myself. Mine works fine as it is right now but I will be undertaking the same restoration when I have a bit more funds available. If you dont mind I would like to stay in touch and would be REALLY interested to know how it sounds after the recap. Good luck and let us all know how it goes.

Like I said theres very little on this amp so I will happily post everything we find out about this amp while restoring it. I'll post the tentative electrolytic cap list as soon as I am back from vacation as well as a parts list for digikey/parts express.

Speaking of which where should I order the caps from? Is there a certain brand thats the best for this type stuff? I'm a robotics engineer by education but the bulk of my electrical engineering background is in digital electronics and embedded computing so I'm not too knowledgeable about capacitors in an analog setting. I usually order components from digikey but I'm not sure what they carry is right for this application.

Last edited:
Ok then, thats why I posted here! :) Theres very little on this amp it seems so its been difficult planning this restoration.

Like I said theres very little on this amp so I will happily post everything we find out about this amp while restoring it. I'll post the tentative electrolytic cap list as soon as I am back from vacation as well as a parts list for digikey/parts express.

Speaking of which where should I order the caps from? Is there a certain brand thats the best for this type stuff? I'm a robotics engineer by education but the bulk of my electrical engineering background is in digital electronics and embedded computing so I'm not too knowledgeable about capacitors in an analog setting. I usually order components from digikey but I'm not sure what they carry is right for this application.

How is the restore going? Did you get a list of the needed caps? Are you going to ad any photos of the restore? I've a friend that is considering the same cap replacement in his 1150 so any information would be very nice to have. A list of replacement caps would be nice as well. Not that I'm lazy or anything, just would be a nice reference for comparisons on the type and size of caps used.
Thanks

Hi,
I'd be interested too in any information on this project. I just got an 1150 which I'm slowly spraying off with contact cleaner and resolving what I can.

Had a 1150d 40 years ago.
Got a 1150 a few years ago. a good cleaning and recap goes a long way
to getting the sound back up to par. Make sure to clean up the relay contacts.
This can be a major cause of channel cut outs.

Back
Top Bottom