Marantz 1250 at garage sale

Nice score you got on that Marantz 1250!

That amp is going to clean up nice! Just replace the pushbuttons, clean the controls, and check the voltages and you'll be all good!

Keep us updated?

Hi there, just got one of these in good cosmetic cond., but did not power up. trying to justify taking it in, and I think I will after reading this thread.

BTW, what were the results after re-furbish by you?

Roscoe

I would drive along way to get to a garage sale like that!
You guys have got to quit finding the 1250's.
I have one that I love. Would love it even more if it had a volume knob that didn't have twenty tiny dents.
Who turns the volume up with a chisel?

I bought mine new in 1976 or so, for $600 mail order. Was stored from about '95 until last month. I was going to sell it and buy a new amp, but thanks to AK, I saw the "light" and bought a pair of Infinity RS-5Bs on CL, hooked them up to the Marantz, and was blown away!! I'm sure it needs new caps but it sounds perfect to me! Great score!

I bought mine new in 1976 or so, for $600 mail order. Was stored from about '95 until last month. I was going to sell it and buy a new amp, but thanks to AK, I saw the "light" and bought a pair of Infinity RS-5Bs on CL, hooked them up to the Marantz, and was blown away!! I'm sure it needs new caps but it sounds perfect to me! Great score!

These AK guys can screw your need for new equipment. Since I started in this forum I only buy new (ie. modern) for my HT system. For music, I buy vintage gear. Started with a tube amp, then an HK 330B receiver, and recently a Marantz 1060, compared the Marantz 1060 with a Marantz SR-5001 I recently replaced with a newer Marantz SR-8002. For music the 1060 took the 5001 and whipped its butt big time, the only category where the 5001 was better was power.

And, believe me when I tell you I keep tinkering with the idea of buying 3 vintage power amps (Marantz, Pio, Sansui, Rotel, or other) and buying a new AV Pre-Processor like Anthem, Rotel, or Marantz to control everything.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just scored a 1250 and was wondering if there were any Marantz guru's on the board that you are aware of that can go through it without changing the signature sound?

Welcome aboard! Surprised that nobody got back to you. Since you don't list where you are from try reaching out to forum member Echowars for starters. You can even search via feedback for him to get an idea what he has done for a lot of members here.

Good luck.

Yank

Terry Dewick is a AK member. I sent him the Marantz 1250 that I had recieved. 1 channel had a slight hum in it but overall it sounded pretty good. Terry wrote me when he sent it back that he went through and changed the outputs with and swapped out the bad caps ect. Well it sat around for a while and I finally hooked it up in the system I bought it for downstairs. I had a SONY TA-N80ES which is 200 watts per channel. The first thing I noticed in the initial listening was the bass had a lot more punch driving a pair of JBL 4313B studio Monitors. I pull the grill covers off and I have never seen the woofer travel on each speaker like they do now. Guys I was shocked. I am a believer and this amp is a keeper!

I acquired an 1150D and i was on the fence about investing in restoration but i may actually go ahead and pull the trigger. I originally asked for some feedback in the following thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=404534
But i think i've read enough here to talk myself into getting it back up and running 100%

The 1250 sounds like a solid unit overall. I can only hope that the 1150D is of the same pedigree.

Bostown,
I have an awesome 1150D that I had restored and wouldn't even consider selling it. It has seen duty as a separate power amp, separate preamp, and integrated amp in all my systems. I also have a parts unit in my garage just in case I need it.

1250 Club

I am joining, paid a little more for mine but I also have an 1150 that is 100% recapped, deoxit cleaned all switches and pots. The cleanest I have ever heard. I am waiting for caps for the phono section and a lamp for the power for the 1250. Should be here by the end of the week.:yes:

I just picked up a 1250 locally for $150. Has a bit of a hum on one of the channels. Hopefully itll be an easy fix.

I know its an old thread but I wanted to share my 1250 story.
Found in 08 at the side of the road waiting for the garbage truck!!!
Wooden case and all!
I was totally blown away...... what a great day!!!
The outside looks very nice and it works good but like the rest needs a recap and very good cleaning.
Currently sitting in the cue list behind the yamaha B-1 for repair priority

I know its an old thread but I wanted to share my 1250 story.
Found in 08 at the side of the road waiting for the garbage truck!!!
Wooden case and all!
I was totally blown away...... what a great day!!!
The outside looks very nice and it works good but like the rest needs a recap and very good cleaning.
Currently sitting in the cue list behind the yamaha B-1 for repair priority
:needpics:

I got one as a gift, in the original box w/ shipping carton. Kept it for a very long time but just recently sold it to a guy who will cherish it. It was just a garage rig for me so I'm happy for the new owner.

Back
Top Bottom