Marantz 140 power amp:your opinions

teleman51

Another Marantz Fanatic
Hi all,
I've been offered a Marantz 140 power amp for a fairly decent price and wanted to know your opinions on this unit.
I've never heard one of these at all and they are rare around these parts.
Does it have the Marantz "sound"?:D

My experience thus far have only been with the 2265 receiver & the MR250.
What can I expect sound wise should I purchase it?
Which was the preamp that was paired with it?

Thanks guys.

Shalom
James

Salamalaikum

The preamp is the 3200.
The 140 is a good amp but soundwise the same as the ones mentioned above.

It deliveres 90 Watts @ 8 and 146 Watts @ 4 Ohm

Cheers

Agreed on the matching preamp; I have that combination. My understanding was 75 watts per side though I have never measured it.

I have one, matched with a 3200 pre-amp, and I like it. It's one of the smaller 70's era Marantz amps, about the same size as the 1060. As Montycat mentioned it is rated by Marantz at 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms. If the price is right I would not hesitate to grab it. I'd probably buy another one myself for the right price.

Thanks S B Marantz & all for the replies.
Being a relatively new comer to Marantz, I had to make sure
that in my haste to feed my desire,I didn't pick up a lemon.
What better place to ask than here right?
I'd thought that I'd gotten over the "meters" thing when I sold off
my Mac MC2015 just a week ago.Then the Marantz comes along
and I'm back where I started.
But the Mac was way too much power for my needs.And I thought
I was "over" it.
No, I just worked up another itch, and I'll have to scratch it.

Shalom
James

"...if the price is right", what would that be? There is a 140 & 3200 on CL for $180 but they used to word vintage which always means overpriced. What is a fair price ofr the set?

Yes, for the pair, that would be a very nice deal... better still if they are fully functional and cosmetically straight.
At this power level, though, I've always been biased in favor of a receiver. That would mean either a 2275, or my preference, the 2270. Of course, I've always been lucky enough to have a good FM station or two, locally, so I'm a tuner fan. Then again, if you already have your tuner, I'd snatch the pair for $180, assuming it's not already gone. A clean 3200 preamp is worth the $180.
You snooze, you loose...:D

just picked up one these beauties. only problem(if any) is that on bulb is out. any advice on going about a possible replacement? thanks

I had a 140 way back when, wish I'd kept it - a nice-sounding little amp, and IMO one of the best-looking amps I've ever seen

just picked up one these beauties. only problem(if any) is that on bulb is out. any advice on going about a possible replacement? thanks

The meters use fuse lamps. A fellow on eBay sells plug and play LED lamps.

I've had one for some time now. I have and have had other amps but I always keep my 140 plugged in. I have both the 3200 and a 3600 preamp. I'm using the 3600 for now. The dual pre outs are handy for running a second amp. And how can you not love those big blue meters. :thmbsp:

"...if the price is right", what would that be? There is a 140 & 3200 on CL for $180 but they used to word vintage which always means overpriced. What is a fair price ofr the set?

If I may ask, what is "CL"? I just paid way, way more then that on just a 140!
way!

I'm currently working on buying pieces for my home system. I started out with a Marantz 104 receiver and 1060 amp. Im an old rocker from the 70's so I've bough my last to Marantz pieces on emotion an impatience. I probably set the e-bay record when buying my 1060. I want to add a power amp to it with real strong Fisher XP 7b's. I'm want to buy the Marantz 140. Is that a good choice for what I have already? Recommendations are appreciated.

I'm currently working on buying pieces for my home system. I started out with a Marantz 104 receiver and 1060 amp. Im an old rocker from the 70's so I've bough my last to Marantz pieces on emotion an impatience. I probably set the e-bay record when buying my 1060. I want to add a power amp to it with real strong Fisher XP 7b's. I'm want to buy the Marantz 140. Is that a good choice for what I have already? Recommendations are appreciated.

I've been using my 1060 as a preamp for one of my 140's. They work very well together. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom