Marantz 140 Stereo Power Amp – Restoration Work

Hi Morgan,
For adjustment of the DC Balance I do as you do, there is a large post by EchoWars on the subject of DC Offset, makes and interesting read, especially the first part, http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-distortion-dc-offset-and-you.5634/

As for the Bias, I adjust the pot fully CCW and then what ever the reading is at that point on your multi-meter I adjust the pot to add 10mV to that figure. And both channels may be slightly different.

Regarding capacitors, I believe they are very personal to each persons preferred sound, I have used many over the years, and they all have their own sound. Regarding your 3200, my has many modifications including about five different configured phono boards. My current board has WIMA's in C415, C416 & C414, C413 positions, but that's for another post.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thank you very much for the information for adjusting the bias, I redid this setting, I think it's all good, in any case, the sound is really good :) And thank you for the link, I appreciated the reading!
Also, I wanted to ask you, you use 2 Marantz 140 bi-amplification with your 3200, I would like to know how you connect the two 140 on the 3200 (there is only one output pre out) ... With a RCA Y adapter ?
And last question;) I also saw that you had to change the wiring of your 140, what type of cabling you use? Neotech? ...

Hi Morgan
I wanted to ask you, you use 2 Marantz 140 bi-amplification with your 3200, I would like to know how you connect the two 140 on the 3200 (there is only one output pre out) ... With a RCA Y adapter?
As stated earlier my 3200 has been highly modified, I initially had the RCA Y adaptors, but I then rewired my 3200 to have two sets of output RCA's, refer photos. Works a treat.

And last question;) I also saw that you had to change the wiring of your 140, what type of cabling you use? Neotech? ...
I have used several different wires over the years but for the two RCA outlets I used a shielded single core wire cable from VH Audio, Pulsar shielded Analog Interconnect Cable. Once again it comes to personal taste of what wire sounds best for you.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_8606 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8606 (Large).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8619 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8619 (Large).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom