Marantz 140 Stereo Power Amp – Restoration Work

Flaxmill19

Marantz 140 Stereo Power Amp – Restoration Work – Part 1

Hi All,

I have just completed a substantial refurbishment of my 140 power amp. Most of the changes and components used were gained from research off AK, so I though I should share my experience and hopefully help someone like my self in the restoration of these beautiful audio amplifiers.

I have previously replaced the VU meter fuse lamps with LED’s and replaced all the Elec. Capacitors with Elna RFS Silmic II series and one Panasonic FC capacitor on the Relay CB. This excluded the 13000 x 2 µf main power filter capacitor.

I have always been frustrated with the speaker connections on these amps and also replaced these.

So the scope of work was to replace:
 > The single dual filter capacitor
 > Replace the speaker binding posts with banana type posts
 > Test and replace transistors on the right channel amp board, refer http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=545939
 > Replace wiring between the new capacitor and the power & amp boards.
 > Replace the wiring plugs on the power and amp boards

I started by trolling through the AK site and searching and reading as much information on the 140 as I could, I finally chose the two Mundorf – MLGO63 – 63V - 15000 µF filter capacitors, supplied by Parts Connexion. These were mounted via a 35mm capacitor clamp bolted to 2.4mm thick G11 insulation board, this is essentially a fibreglass board with exceptional strength and insulation properties. All the screws holding the board, capacitor clamps are M3 stainless steel caps screws, flat and spring washers. Under the ground wire terminals I have fitted M3 external toothed shakeproof washer A2 Stainless Steel (DIN 6798) these will hopefully gain the best connection to ground possible.

The new speaker binding posts took a lot of research to find and to be honest I am not totally happy with these posts, but they appear to work OK. My aim was to mount the four new binding posts in the same space that the original connections were in, there was no way that I was going to cut the rear panel. This meant I had to find the smallest diameter binding posts I could, the posts I finally chose were from Digi-Key, part 7006K-ND that had a base outside diameter of 8mm and an overall diameter of 11.7mm, that provided a gap of 2.7mm between the posts, just enough!. Even with these to gain the maximum spacing you have to fit one of the binding post once the mounting board (2.4mm thick G11) is fitted to the back cover. I would have liked to fit a higher quality post, but I could not find ones with a small enough diameter, if any AK’ers know of something suitable, please let me know. I replaced the cabling from the post to the PN00 Relay Board with 22 awg, LEGENBURG rectangular hook-up wire and Utilux M3.5, 0.5-1.5mm² lugs soldered and heat shrink applied to the connection.

Stay tuned for Part 2.

Tony

Attachments

• 1) Pre Restoration.jpg
    1) Pre Restoration.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 664
  • 2) Post Restoration.jpg
    2) Post Restoration.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 648
  • 10) Binding Post Wiring.jpg
    10) Binding Post Wiring.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 601
  • 11) New Speaker Binding Posts Fitted.jpg
    11) New Speaker Binding Posts Fitted.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 581
  • 12) New Binding Posts with Speaker Cables Connected.jpg
    12) New Binding Posts with Speaker Cables Connected.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 572
  • 4) New Mundorf Capacitors Mounted on the G11 Insulation Board.jpg
    4) New Mundorf Capacitors Mounted on the G11 Insulation Board.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
Marantz 140 Stereo Power Amp – Restoration Work – Part 2

Hi All,

Cable replacement, my biggest initial issue was to replace the plastic connectors to the amplifier boards, so my search began. Initially I searched for a replacement plug, but that proved fruitless and then I turned to replacing the plug and posts all together. I was starting to think what the hell have I gotten myself into. I finally came across a Tyco Electronics PCB Disconnect system and of course I chose the gold plated posts (Digi-Key 60599-3-ND) and connectors (Digi-Key 60789-3-ND). My initial thoughts were that I could solder the new lugs onto the crimp plugs and all would be fine. So, I fitted the posts, this meant drilling out some of the board holes, not a problem and the new post soldered into the board like they were meant to be there. I then soldered the new wire onto the gold plated crimp plugs and what I found is that the solder wicks very well on the gold to the point you have very little control to where all the solder ends up, and some invariably ends up in the plug section of the lug. This then meant the plug will not go onto the lug. What to do now, the Digi-Key crimper is approximately $750. So the search began for a crimper for less that $750, that’s where ebay came to my rescue. I managed to buy a second hand TYCO 90204-4 crimp tool for $75.00, thanks ebay. Once I received the crimper and after a couple trial crimps to master it, this tool does a magnificent job and I am now glad that this is the way I have terminated the lugs to the new and existing cables.

Other than the speaker cable, all the other cables replaced were KIMBER 19 awg, TCSS, hook-up wire.

I have also replaced the wiring to the PN00 Relay Board. An interesting thing is that there are a number of shielded cables running to the amp and relay boards, I have so far not been able to locate a high quality single core shielded cable, maybe someone out there knows of some.

I have also replaced the earth/ground wire for the filter capacitors, speaker binding posts, amp and relay boards.

So, to terminate all the wiring to the two new Mundorf filter capacitors I made up copper connecting lugs from 12.6mm x 0.7mm copper strip. These were a little fiddly to make, but once made the wires were easy to solder into the lugs. All the holes in the lugs are 1.5mm. One regret (doesn’t effect anything) was that I didn’t fully tin the lug that connects the two capacitors, it a visual thing!

While the amp was apart, I took the opportunity to replace and re-grease the output transistor heat sink mounts. I used a 3M thermo pad 5590H TO-3 (Digi-Key 3M12141-ND) and applied MG Chemicals thermal grease.

I have now had the amp running for about 30 hours and all sounds good, and should get better as the hours of use increase.

I would like to thank Patfont for all his information of which a lot of my upgrade has come from. I hope that this thread, like many of Patfont’s, helps other AK members to have a go, there’s not a lot to lose really and plenty to gain from refurbishing these beautiful amps, pre amps and receivers.

Next the 3200 pre amp, do I have some plans for this! Stay tuned.

Tony

Attachments

• 7) Original Amp Board Connection Posts.jpg
    7) Original Amp Board Connection Posts.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 504
  • 8) New Gold Plated Connector Posts Fitted to Amp Board.jpg
    8) New Gold Plated Connector Posts Fitted to Amp Board.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 474
  • 9) Amp Board with New Wiring Connected to New Posts.jpg
    9) Amp Board with New Wiring Connected to New Posts.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 491
  • 13) Relay Board with New Gold Connector Posts Fitted.jpg
    13) Relay Board with New Gold Connector Posts Fitted.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 14) Relay Board with New Wiring Fitted to New Connector Posts.jpg
    14) Relay Board with New Wiring Fitted to New Connector Posts.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 5) New Copper Connection Lugs.jpg
    5) New Copper Connection Lugs.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
This is off the hook attention to detail and workmanship! Please keep us posted on any sonic improvements. Did you use a metal hole puncher for the holes on the main cap plates that you made up? I got a metal hole puncher off of that auction site and used it for the ground bar I made to convert my 2245 main filters to screw terminals.

This is off the hook attention to detail and workmanship! Please keep us posted on any sonic improvements. Did you use a metal hole puncher for the holes on the main cap plates that you made up? I got a metal hole puncher off of that auction site and used it for the ground bar I made to convert my 2245 main filters to screw terminals.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the positive comments,

To answer Patfonts questions, the main filter caps are mounted on the G11 (glass epoxy composite laminate material), so no holes required for the caps. I used this material as I work in the electrical generation business where the G11 is used alot.

Sonically, my ears don’t appear to pick up the detail that you can Patfont, but at the moment I have my rebuilt 140 and another 140 (just arrived) that has had some elect. Caps replaced (by the previous owner). So I am comparing the two at the moment (I intend to rebuild the new addition to the same spec.). My overall impression of the difference between the two is that the rebuilt 140 sounds brighter in the highs and tighter in lows, not significantly different, but enough to make for my ears to detect, I really like the crisp highs and clear lows that the rebuilt 140 now produces.

At this stage the only difference on the second rebuild will be the replacement of some of the shielded cabling, I have managed to find some from http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...ire,_cables/Shielded_Guitar_Circuit_Wire.html

I have attached a couple more photos for interest.

Tony

Attachments

• 3) Original Dual Capacitor Removed.jpg
    3) Original Dual Capacitor Removed.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 6) Wiring in New Capacitors.jpg
    6) Wiring in New Capacitors.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 411
Marantz 140 Stereo Power Amp – Restoration Work – Part 3

Hi All,

I have just in the last few weeks completed the second part of my major restoration, upgrade, modification to my 140 Amp, this entailed the following:

 Replace the C701 - 1.0 µF films with Mundorf Supremes on each amp board
 Replace the trim resistors with Bourns trimmers (2 on each amp board & 2 on each meter board) – Digi-Key 3329X-203LF-ND & 3329X-202LF-ND
 Replace four transistors on the left amp board (H705, H706, H707 & H708). These had already been replaced on the right amp board and fixed a fault, just want to equal things up. Mouser KSC945CYBU & KSA733CYTA
 Replace the Vu meter velum paper
 Replace the shielded cable from RCA inputs to gain control, the from gain control to amp board (both channels). Silver coated copper wire shielded cable used.
 Dexoit the gain controls
 Replace the RCA input connections with gold plated RCA connections (Mouser 568-NYS367-2).
 Replaced the relay (after initial power up) – Digi-Key Z2633-ND

Everything went fairly well to plan, the gain controls were well gummed up and freed up nicely with the Deoxit.

The Bourns trimmers are a little tricky to install and I found that they are not that steady when soldered to the PCB as the three leads to the PCB are very small in diameter and offer little support for the trimmer. I set each trimmer close to the old trimmer adjusted value.

The new Gold plated RCA connectors are mounted to a single insulation board and I wired these up before I took the amp apart. This was an easy change over and they look great.

When I initially powered the amp up through a DBT the Vu meters LED’s turned on, and both peak meters were on. I checked a few thing that lead me to the relay/power PCB, for some reason the relay was not switching in. So after a couple of days thinking I pulled the amp apart again and managed to trace the fault back to a broken ground wire that was providing the ground to the relay PCB. I would have broken this off when replacing the shielded cables to the gain control. Refer the following post for more info on the fault http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=596642

Once I had this reconnected I was away, reset the DC off set and the Bias. I then set the Vu meters as per the service manual, but I believe there is an error when setting the maximum travel of the Vu pointer on RX03. The manual says to wind RX03 fully anti-clockwise, this should be clockwise, as I found the pointer to be fully to off the high end of the scale with RX03 adjusted fully CCW. So I found if you wind RX03 fully clockwise, the pointer is about in the centre of the meter, you can then adjust the needle via RX03 to move the pointer to the full scale position.

Once the amp was back in my system, it immediately sounded cleaner and more defined. I have been running now for about 50 hours and the sound is just great, I am very happy with the changes made, I am not sure which change has made the most difference, but hey it’s all good.

I have another 140 Amp that I intend to upgrade to the same specs and then bi-amp my system, can’t wait.

I hope you enjoy the read.

Tony

Attachments

• 19) RCA Connectors Mounted.jpg
    19) RCA Connectors Mounted.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 18) Shielded Wiring at Gain Control.jpg
    18) Shielded Wiring at Gain Control.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 17) New RCA Mounted With Wiring.jpg
    17) New RCA Mounted With Wiring.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 16) VU Meters Velum Paper.jpg
    16) VU Meters Velum Paper.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 15) Mundorf Cap & Bourns Trimmers.jpg
    15) Mundorf Cap & Bourns Trimmers.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 323
A thousand thanks for this write-up. I've recently bought a Marantz 140 which I'm planning to do some restoration work on, and your posts will be an invaluable guide to work from. I'm actually new to the vintage audio hobby and a rookie at amp restoration, so this will be my first project.

For my first pass on refurbing this amp, I'm planning to:

+ Perform a thorough cleaning
+ Replace the VU meter lamps
+ Replace the RCA input jacks
+ Replace the speaker binding posts
+ Replace the main filter caps
+ Possibly replace the power cord

If you have any other ideas for things to take care of while I'm under the hood, please fire away! In the meantime, here are a few questions arising from my lack of experience, any info you can provide will be appreciated:

+ What material did you use for the backing plates for the new RCA jacks and speaker binding posts?

+ Any other suggestions for materials to use as a mounting board for the new main filter caps? The G11 insulating board you used doesn't seem to be readily available (or maybe I'm not looking int he right places).

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lucky13, welcome to AK, and like me you will find this site contains and has members who are willing to provide help on your trip down vintage audio restoration, I found this to be a very rewarding past time. My comments on your proposed list of work.

• Cleaning, ensure you Deoxit the two gain controls.

• Replace the VU meter lamps, I would recommend replacing the velum paper as well, this really brings those big blue meters back to life.

• Replace the RCA jack, I really only did this because I replaced the shielded cable and I thought what the hell I might as well replace these. I believe the shielded cable replacement made the amp sound a little cleaner (or maybe that was the Deoxit of the gain controls). Backing for the RCA I used the G11 same as the mounting board for the main filter capacitors.

• Speaker binding posts, I replaced these because I have always disliked the original type and if you clip any type of metal pin into them they tend to throw these out whenever you move the amp.

• Replace the power cord, not sure that there’s much to gain from this, but hey give it a go, you got nothing to lose.

• Replace main filter caps. Before this I would replace all the other Electrolytic capacitors with Elna Silmic II, I fitted a Panasonic FC to the Relay PCB, but I think that was due to room constraints.

• The G11 mounting boards I used are from the High Voltage electrical industry and completely over the top. Any fibre glass board or insulation type board would be OK. Even thin plywood or hard plastic would be OK.

Hope that helps,

Tony

Hi Lucky13, welcome to AK, and like me you will find this site contains and has members who are willing to provide help on your trip down vintage audio restoration, I found this to be a very rewarding past time. My comments on your proposed list of work.

• Cleaning, ensure you Deoxit the two gain controls.

• Replace the VU meter lamps, I would recommend replacing the velum paper as well, this really brings those big blue meters back to life.

• Replace the RCA jack, I really only did this because I replaced the shielded cable and I thought what the hell I might as well replace these. I believe the shielded cable replacement made the amp sound a little cleaner (or maybe that was the Deoxit of the gain controls). Backing for the RCA I used the G11 same as the mounting board for the main filter capacitors.

• Speaker binding posts, I replaced these because I have always disliked the original type and if you clip any type of metal pin into them they tend to throw these out whenever you move the amp.

• Replace the power cord, not sure that there’s much to gain from this, but hey give it a go, you got nothing to lose.

• Replace main filter caps. Before this I would replace all the other Electrolytic capacitors with Elna Silmic II, I fitted a Panasonic FC to the Relay PCB, but I think that was due to room constraints.

• The G11 mounting boards I used are from the High Voltage electrical industry and completely over the top. Any fibre glass board or insulation type board would be OK. Even thin plywood or hard plastic would be OK.

Hope that helps,

Tony

Thanks Tony! Project is well underway now, will keep you posted (and perhaps pester you with more questions... ;) )

I believe slip on connectors are in need of attention after 40 years.... So totally glad to see someone looking to improve them.

You might consider solder re-enforcing the wire wrap connections.

I have had good result with both.

Jk

I believe slip on connectors are in need of attention after 40 years.... So totally glad to see someone looking to improve them.

You might consider solder re-enforcing the wire wrap connections.

I have had good result with both.

Jk

The new connectors have worked out well, I have pulled the amp boards off and on a couple of times since fitting the new connector system and the connectors un-plug and re-plug nicely. Just need to connect the right wire into its connection point! Photos are very handy for this.

Thanks for the tip on soldering the wire wrap connections. I will look at this next time the amp is apart. Are these not already soldered? Then it would be a re-solder.

Tony

Marantz 140 Amp 4 Pole Main Filter Capacitors – Restoration Part 4

Hi All,

This is my Second 140 Amp, I have modified as detailed above in that I replaced all the Electrolytic capacitors, replaced the meter vellum paper, replaced the incandescent lights with LED’s, replaced all the signal wiring from the inputs, to the gain control, to the amp board and then to the speaker terminals. I also replaced the wiring between the main filer capacitors and the left & right amp boards. And a few of the ground connection wires (refer attached photo for the removed wiring).

I have changed the connectors at the amp boards with the gold crimp connectors.

I have finally bitten the bullet and fitted two 15000 µF x 63v 4 Pole Mundorf main filter capacitors.

The biggest part for me was working out the wiring, I had had some help from Leestereo and the Mundorf website that has some good information.

I fitted the two capacitors using the same board, clamps and wire connectors as per the 2 pole Mundorf capacitors shown on the previous posts.

I have posted a few photos of the finished installation and my very rough wiring diagram for anyone that is interested.

I currently have the amp running in my system and although there are only a handful of listening hours, there appears to be a definite change in the sound, my hearing doesn’t appear as sharp as some of the other Aker’s, but I would say the sound has a greater definition about it, that is, it’s easier to define different sounds as they appear clearer. All and all at this stage it’s only a small change, but hey, it’s all for the better.

At this stage although expensive and a lot of work to install, I believe the change has been worth it.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_9777 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9777 (Large).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_9778 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9778 (Large).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_9785 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9785 (Large).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited: