Marantz 1515

Javigato

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello, I am new here and new at buying this kind of stuff. I have question. Today at lunch at the local thrift store I saw a marantz 1515 for sale for $50 I was wondering if you guys think this is worth buying. I am not an expert about this, so any help would be greatly appreciate it. I tried it at the store and seems like it works, the lights don't seem to work, but I tried it with a pair of headphones and at least the tuner works as I was able to hear the radio. In the outside it looks like it could use some cleaning, but the buttons and dials work just fine. Should I get it? Thanks!

Not the highest end Marantz. If you like it I would go for it. $50 is not a steal but with the way Marantz prices are going its not bad either.

I'm with SParton: it's not a super hot deal, but it's a unit that is bound to go up in time.

IF it has all the knobs, and IF there are no scratches on the faceplate, and you say it already works, not bad, and will be lots of fun. 15 watts per channel RMS will drive a lot of the speakers available...

Thanks guys! I think I will pick it up then after work today :) By the way Spartan, I am also in VA, not too far from where you are. Are there any good electronics stores around that might help if some fixin' is needed? Or where I can buy stuff?

I've been working the thrift circuit for two solid months and have yet to see a quality brand. You better buy it before I can figure out where your "local thrift " is located. All kidding aside, I think a 1515 would bring a minimum $30 on ebay and $25 shipping. Then you have to cross your fingers and hope that it works properly.

This was the first time I found a Marantz, and only been looking for 2 weeks, actually I went last Friday and today at the same place, lucky I guess. So an update, I went back to see if it was still there, plugged it again and noticed something, it smelled like something was heating up quick, or burning... is that a real bad sign? Any ideas? If it's fixable, and not a big deal, I am picking it up tomorrow. Again $50 bucks...

I was going to say $30 would be more realistic. It is the BOTL receiver in that series. 15 wpc

I might pay $50 if it was pristine.

About the heating up issue...I have a 1550 that has 2 high power resistors that get VERY hot. Very quickly. Hot enough to "burn off" some dust if it hasn't been used in a while and to feel if you put your hand over the grille. Apparently this is normal. If its a burning off some dust smell you might be ok. If it is a burning electronics smell...well you know.

I bought one not too long ago for 26$ + 23$ shipping. The tuner was better than average for pulling in AM stations. It didn't work great like the seller said though and he packed it with peanuts and the back panel was caved in as a result. I traced the sound problem to the selector switch. It sounds just so so. May need a few parts as the speakers pop loudly about 5 seconds after shutting receiver off. I just look at it as a practice project before I get the nerve to tackle my 2070.

Back
Top Bottom