Marantz 1550 comments please

superdog

AK Member
How about some comments on the 15xx series or the 1550 in general.They do not appear to be one of the most wanted series even though they were 70's model Marantz.i have a 1550 paired with Imp 7's and jbl l100's.It makes a great 3rd system .The best I can describe it is has a great soundstage.Why do you think their is a lack of interest or respect for the 15xx series.

They lack the classic gyro for one, which people assume makes a marantz a good marantz.

I have the 1530 and like it very much, but it isn't up to par with my 2220B, however differences are negligable.

The 15XX line is a good "under the radar" marantz for anyone who wants to try marantz, but cannot afford a $100 20wpc 2220B.

They really aren't the physical quality of their older brothers, but certainly nice units nonetheless. They use a lot of ICs instead of multiple circuit components.

I have my 1530 out on loan, but I will never sell it, because it is such a nice sleeper..IMO

I had a 1550 and it was one of the best sounding Marantz I had. A guy who is in the music industry bought it from me and still loves it. It has big main capacitors (10,000 uF) and puts out great bass and sharp treble. A very under rated model IMO. Has only 2 dial lights bulbs on the sides instead of the typical 5 and it works just as well. Meter lights are a pain to replace. The FM is not as sensitive I think, but it is better than the comparables.

A bit late but anyway .............
The 1550 has one IC on the tuner board and two little op amps in the phono stage.
The 2226 has three IC's on the tuner board which apart from coils, trimmers, etc. make up most of the tuner circuitry.
I think Alex got his years mixed up as 1980's Marantz gear does has have lots of IC's including amplifier modules.

Back
Top Bottom