Marantz 170dc with no power button

The Fuxtor

Addicted Member
Got an American version Marantz 170dc, no power button on this one....
Manual states that you can just plug it into the preamp's switched outlet but I'm not too sure if that's a good idea??? The preamp I'm going to use is a Marantz 1070 integrated. Is the amp going to harm the integrated amps power switch??

What is the watts/amps rating for the switched outlet? You should be okay, it's designed for that switching

can't find the amp rating in the specs, can't see in the photo of the back, what is the draw on the back of the amp, the preamps are setup for switching, 1070 may not be.

Not sure if this is going to be legible, but it states the power consumption to be
350 watts full power and 60 watts idling....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170917-145250.jpg
    Screenshot_20170917-145250.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3
Looks to me that the switched outlet should be at least 400 watts to safely use it.... Guess it's a power bar to the rescue!

Has anyone added a discrete power switch to one of these , say on the back of the unit

Last edited:
I have seen a couple with toggle power switches on the back ,to me that's a ruby doobie way to go.
You have to reach around the back of your stack to access it??!!
A power strip or inline switch would be a better way.
My top choice would be a little custom slave relay box totally hidden behind the stack.

Bob

Not sure if this is going to be legible, but it states the power consumption to be
350 watts full power and 60 watts idling....
Just curious... since the amp does not have a power switch (I have one, factory, no switch) and the idle draw is 60w, if when you turn it on through say a 3250 preamp, wouldn't the draw only be 60w and once the relays engage, it should be able to handle it? Marantz intended the amp to be switched through a pre-amp as per their instructions. Not encouraging one way or the other, just curious.... thanks Rich

Just curious... since the amp does not have a power switch (I have one, factory, no switch) and the idle draw is 60w, if when you turn it on through say a 3250 preamp, wouldn't the draw only be 60w and once the relays engage, it should be able to handle it? Marantz intended the amp to be switched through a pre-amp as per their instructions. Not encouraging one way or the other, just curious.... thanks Rich
Im curious on this too...

The 60w rating is for idling power which means the power consumption just sitting there powered on. The rated power is 350w which is what you need to concern yourself with. The matching 3250(B) pre-amp switched outlets (2 of them) are rated for 580w combined and the other 3650 pre-amp 500w so there is no problem. The OP wishes to use a 1070 as a pre-amp and utilize the switched outlet but it is only rated for 100w so the bottom line is it can not be safely plugged in to the 1070 switched or unswitched 200w outlet for that matter.

Last edited:
The 60w rating is for idling power which means the power consumption just sitting there powered on. The rated power is 350w which is what you need to concern yourself with. The matching 3250(B) pre-amp switched outlets (2 of them) are rated for 580w combined and the other 3650 pre-amp 500w so there is no problem. The OP wishes to use a 1070 as a pre-amp and utilize the switched outlet but it is only rated for 100w so the bottom line is it can not be safely plugged in to the 1070 switched or unswitched 200w outlet for that matter.

Thank you!

I was actually thinking about getting one of those smart plugs where you can switch the power off/ on using a remote control..... That would work, but adds to the remote pile...

Back
Top Bottom