Marantz 18 vs marantz 19 Receiver HELP PLZ!!

Best part still has sticker stating its MADE IN USA!

Congrats on your 'new' 19.

Mine was made in USA and has the CC front also. Curious what your serial # is. You can round off to the 100's if you don't feel comfortable about using the exact # . Mine is in the 1500's.

fwiw...it doesn't matter to me where a 19 is made, no shortage of misinformation on the net. What? :yikes:. Some think all 50rms50 were USA and all CC's are Japan. We know that's not true. I just care if it sounds good and looks good. Oh and a wood cabinet is bigly for me.

photo.JPG

That is one fine 19!! Awesome ! I will find out serial number tonight! I dont have the wood case .

Thanks for sharing!!

Keep em coming everyone

NOW I'm jealous!!!!

Enjoy, that's one of the true classics in audio.

Are you going to have it PROFESSIONALLY restored?

Thanks very much!! That's exactly what I'm planning on doing! I appreciate it.

Indeed it is and I've been waiting patiently and finally got rewarded.

It already has been professionally restored. Some of the bad caps, resistors and transistors have been replaced with some golden tips or something of the nature aka high quality parts according the seller. Also have the bag with the original items that were removed. Original lights as well and the original burnt scope. It now has new LED lights, FM tuner aligned.

Perhaps one of these days will get the complete restoration.

NOW I'm jealous!!!!

Enjoy, that's one of the true classics in audio.

Are you going to have it PROFESSIONALLY restored?

I have owned a restored Model 18 and currently have a Model 19. Both are fantastic - you can't go wrong with either. The 19 will cost more money but might hold its value a bit better. If you get an 18, be very careful about the dial glass. The lettering is quite fragile and can come off even with a dry cloth. With either receiver you want to be sure the scope tube works because replacements are rare and expensive (approximately $300 or more). Both have a nice tuner section. I would certainly recommend a restored one or having it restored by one of the experts here on AK. These are old enough that the capacitors are past their normal lifespan. Enjoy your new receiver.
I have a model 18 I bought when I was in high school. It’s about 50 yo I believe. I would like it refurbished although it works well.

I have a model 18 I bought when I was in high school. It’s about 50 yo I believe. I would like it refurbished although it works well.
These are truly one of the beauties and deserve a proper restoration. Contact Bob Speece aka wlhd1610. If he doesn't do the earlier models he can at least point you in the right direction.

this is what was replaced in my 18, it made a noticeable improvement especially in the bass. like i said earlier it was a WOW moment when i first got it back. and it sounded great before and i was just wanting to extend its life and not worry about cap failure and wasnt expecting much improvement.

pMj8HURv6PPs_dSw6AgGPGNHj85tznLl5qBa9Gb_y9NIgIr_k08tGnxy1IEwVgIoT354WMazZFryL0ZYBY4ziW3eDkjm3IpAIabiDk4X-yxITWW9UUE9eTk_HeaBnpy1f8WZ5U0fu20BaSFc2Y6FfIujUf1lEO80z1xPVcbaDZWhNyx7eMJNiZ3e3uP5lgxuKmzEcAb0IUa6_-bcOvLgSNCyGbcfqGuvvkVLjIoy_i-p7QbcAa-6PfM5q4LqZ2OWvbRhzRidgFJFVIFYLgwPGLrnZr5ZY5pOzTG7sIizN2zrk5jjxLSTtYkgMSazVmiD_2E4nj2Om73MGbyA_imbN2KSk4JEtpZ-Bqgomed0gHPsxccQuqx7gMFK5Ly_dHUFFID3YpVNea3vY7rRsvOCkxrakNsXzoQwZMxcy0weWn5BLP3m8Z3fzuww1gr73A6v1doKpj_-eA6GEouHMce08nXD_2T2NbdLT98ob7xtINd8g5_4LwWgwlqZrg4jafZA0n6FBPeFyRvle9xpDSz-CN_2S-jo2gC4bLD_3M4TvlOTzvvaL1PeakyXTiYOetV1_YlZXIVmQ3tdRI7WiJkueAJ1ugX0LXedQDtsBpc=w517-h918-no
I did the Rick Flair. Woooooooo!

I bought a 19 in 1974 new. Assembled in Japan. Used capacitors from Tecate, Mexico (Temple Industries). I use the 19 everyday and haven't had any upgrades. The 18's were known to blow power transformers. This thing is running two pair of ELAC Debut 6.2s and has no problem all day. Doesn't even get warm. I got an LED kit for the lights but I haven't installed it. My serial number is in the 3400's so I think that only 3500 or so exist. I have the wooden case. I had it cleaned up and lubed by one of the best techs for Marantz - Mike Zuccaro www.audiocraftsman.com a couple years ago. Stan in San Diego

Good thread.

I have model 19. I received it from an estate of a German man living in Tennessee who died in a motorcycle wreck along with a mcintosh c22, 6300 tt, and td124 tt along with some other items. No wood case. None of the components were working.

Fast forward took about 2 years to figure out how to properly restore the 19 since someone else tried to fix it and mis wired the driver boards. It took a while just to figure that part out. It is not easy to work on an unlabeled circuit board with a blurry manual. Took getting a physical copy of the manual to read the diagrams. Now after restoring It measures at 0.06% thd above its rated output after making the driver board adjustments. The sound is very smooth and detailed. Can’t expect anything to sound better unless you need more current for larger speakers. The 19 will walk all over a 2270, 2325, etc in terms of sound, etc even after they’ve been properly restored. There is no comparison.

Acquired an 18 through eBay and it is fully working in original condition. I’m looking forward to using my tube amp skills on its point to point wiring when I get done fixing other peoples gear. It stays unused until I can recap it.

I’ve got a fully restored and upgraded 2230, and 1030, unrestored 2015, 2215, 4230 and a fully restored Model 18. Without a doubt, the 18 rules! Next up, the 4230 and 2015 although the bass is weak on the 2015. I had a 2220B and 2238B and they just aren’t in the same class, imo.

One bit of info I didn’t see… Saul’s last assignment before leaving Marantz, and yes the Model 18 is his last design, was to hire the development team that designed the 19 and early 22XX series.

Back
Top Bottom