marantz 2215 opinions

Audionerd

there is a marantz 2215 for sale locally for $75 the owner claims to be in perfect working order is this a good deal? it would be my first piece of marantz gear:banana:

It would be a deal if it was in good shape, nice operating condition & taking care of. The 2215B was my first Marantz. Nice sounding receiver. What speakers do you plan on using?

The 2215 and 2215B are two totally different receivers. I am working on both right now.

The 2215 is much deeper than the 2215B.
If you check E-bay, it would appear that the 2215 is more rare.

I would say that is a good price for 2215. Not so good if it were a 2215B

Rob

Good deal

there is a marantz 2215 for sale locally for $75 the owner claims to be in perfect working order is this a good deal? it would be my first piece of marantz gear:banana:

Hello Audionerd

The Swede here. I have amongst others, a 2220 which is nearly identical. I run it with OA 5 mk2 and sometimes with OA 1 or 14. Its a very good match, go for it!

It's a well made receiver, BUT...
Aside from the obvious power limitations, the quality of the tuner will be the major issue unless you are conveniently located near to an FM station of your liking.
My recommendation would be to watch for a clean 2245. You get more in every important respect, particularly a better tuner. IMHO a receiver without a good tuner section defeats the purpose. $125-$150 will get you a very nice 2245. Maybe less, if you're patient.

My first piece of vintage gear was a dead 2215 donated by a stranger who's office I was doing electrical work in 4 years ago. At the time I knew next to nothing about older stereo gear other than Marantz was a good name when I was a teen (35 years ago).
It cost me $150 to get it working again (work done by a very highly regarded vintage tech). I had no idea what it was worth, if it was a good price to get working again or if it was even worth fixing.
As it turns out, I paid more than it was worth but....it's a keeper and it got me back in to this hobby. Which I really enjoy.
The 2215 is currently living in my cottage and it rocks the place every weekend. Sounds great!:thmbsp:
I've bought "better" gear since, but I won't part with the little 2215.:music:

Last edited:
Ken P,
re: the AMK products web site.

Absolutely. I have tried to phone them at least once, but got aced out by the time difference. The photographer who shot the pics of the 2600(s) has taken the best photography of a vintage receiver that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. Of course, the receiver looked pretty smashing to begin with.

I've got a 2215 coming, found a web site in canada which sells vintage/used equipment. Picked it up for $80 and that's checked out serviced, not like ebay which usually ends up being problem equipment.

2215 arrived yesterday. Sounds good, not quite as detailed as my 1200b but pretty good, I was also surpised at the size of it, quite large for only 15 watts per channel. This one has a gold toned front panel with recessed lettering (engraved?) and silver knobs.

The 2215 and 2215B are two totally different receivers. I am working on both right now.

The 2215 is much deeper than the 2215B.
If you check E-bay, it would appear that the 2215 is more rare.

I would say that is a good price for 2215. Not so good if it were a 2215B

Rob

Could you be a little more specific? I always thought the "B Series" represented an improvement over the corresponding "letterless" version. What is it about the 2215 that makes it better in your view?

John

Could you be a little more specific? I always thought the "B Series" represented an improvement over the corresponding "letterless" version. What is it about the 2215 that makes it better in your view?

John
The "B" series is just a later series of amps. It is not "improved", just different, newer. Why there are some models that are named 2230 or 2230B, for example, only means that both are rated at 30 watts per channel. That is all they have in common.

It is like comparing the Luxman R-1500 with the R-1070. Both are rated at the same wattage, but they are totally different amps. Marantz were just being odd here, using the same model number scheme twice.

And, since the B series is newer, it means that the build quality is worse, as this is standard practice for any type of gear. The later it is, the cheaper it was to produce. That is the only reason the B series exists. To cut costs and increase profits.

Has audio gear improved over the years? Nope. Just cheaper to make. :)

And, since the B series is newer, it means that the build quality is worse, as this is standard practice for any type of gear. The later it is, the cheaper it was to produce. That is the only reason the B series exists. To cut costs and increase profits.

Um... right.

John

Hello all,

Complete noob here. I bought a 2215B at a yardsale last weekend for $5 bucks. I tested it and it sounds pretty good to me. Mine does have the J4 in the serial number so it has this

"some later units have a "J4" suffix which indicates the unit is equipped with a universal power transformer. Inside a terminal strip allows the unit to be switched between 100V, 120V, 200V, 220V, 240V voltage sources."

I'm not sure how that changes anything other than if I move to Europe I can use this.

Has anybody ever hooked one of these up to a PC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_aQWgxk8zk

Hello all,

Complete noob here. I bought a 2215B at a yardsale last weekend for $5 bucks............... Has anybody ever hooked one of these up to a PC?

Yes, I have. What would you like to know?

John

The "B" series is just a later series of amps. It is not "improved", just different, newer. Why there are some models that are named 2230 or 2230B, for example, only means that both are rated at 30 watts per channel. That is all they have in common.

It is like comparing the Luxman R-1500 with the R-1070. Both are rated at the same wattage, but they are totally different amps. Marantz were just being odd here, using the same model number scheme twice.

Has audio gear improved over the years? Nope. Just cheaper to make. :)

What is cheapened up? Power transformer? Semicondouctors? Switches? Wiring? Hard to take your opinion seriously without concrete examples.

Back
Top Bottom